first batch smells a little buttery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlxsf86

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first time posting and my first batch of beer brewed. I just brewed an Amber Ale and it smells a little buttery to me, the actual taste is just fine but the aroma is killing me. Do you have any suggestions to why this happened and what I can do next time to prevent this aroma from occuring again? Thanks for any suggestions.

Sounds like Diacetyl or DMS to me. You can do some searches for the two and get a lot of good info. I would say that you need to look at your fermentation temp. As you are just starting out, I would make sure you are getting a good boil, for 60 minutes, and trying to keep fermentation temperature under control, and not to warm early. DMS can drive off in the boil, and Diacetyl can be absorbed by the yeast at the end of fermentation, if the entire primary ferment was not to warm. Usually for ales I try to keep it under 70F if possible.

Hope this helps

awesome, this helps a lot. on my next one i will focus on a better boil and pay more attention to the temp of the fermentation. thanks

+1 Diacetyl Find a cooler, more controlled ferment temp area. You also might want to make sure you add a little yeast nutrient if you are having this problem too.

Boil the wort longer. I do 75-90 minutes of boiling time.

Cool the wort faster.

And use a cooler fermentation temperature. Remember, the temperature in the middle of the fermenter will be a little warmer than the ambient temperature due to all the activity inside.

Latest posts

Back