Identify my yeast infection! Plus sulphiting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildfoodie

Reaction score
My latest batch of cider has some growth on it (sorry for the fuzziness of the pic)

It has a vinegary smell to it. Does anyone know what it is, how I can get rid of it, and what I should do to prevent it in future? Will sulphiting work? And if so can anyone recommend a product? Thanks

If it is vinegar, it is pretty much impossible to get rid of, but entirely preventable.

Acetobacter takes hold in the presence of air. It's hard to see from the pic, but if you have left too much headspace after fermentation has finished, it could open the door to acetobacter infection (which creates vinegar). Brettanomyces and lactobacillus also like air. Sulfites displace oxygen, helping to prevent infection. I use them as minimally as possible, as I am very sensitive to their smell, which I find unpleasant, but they are handy. The more sound the fruit used, the less sulfites have to be used, and I think the tendency is for a lot of home winemakers is to overuse them, but that's just my opinion.

It looks normal to me. Just seems to be carbonation from the quick fermentation.

Back