Yeast storage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is not so much as how long will it last but how much of it will last how long?

Yeast viability drops of the moment they flocculate out of suspension so from that point on you are losing yeast cells. Different methods have different suggested storage times. So if you are using slants I think the life expectancy is around 6 months but people have pushed that out to years. Slurry is generally kept for shorter periods not because it is an inferior method of storring but people tend to want to only have to do one step with a stored washed cake vs using the slant where you have to do multiple steps.

So the short story is if you use a pitching tool like Mr Malty it will take a educated guess on the amount of slurry to pitch based on several variables on of which is harvest date.

Clem

slants are good but you should also look at freezing yeast there is a thread around here about it where a guy was singing the praises of a frozen yeast bank. I did not have room for one in my freezer so I went with slants as my storage option. The only benenfit I can think of for slanting over freezing is if you are yeast swaping it might be a bit easier. Either way before you start get a pressure cooker and a stir plate arguably the best investment in equipment for yeast culturing.

Also once you start mesding with culturing yeast you will then ask how do I know I have enough yeast to pitch. Check out Maltose Falcons web site in yeast propogation and maintenance Great info on how to make yeast.

Clem

Earlier this year (April) I brewed a batch with some US-05 that I had washed the previous July. You can see/read about it in this thread.

Latest posts

Back