American IPA Shattered Dreams IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quik_sk8

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale US-05
Yeast Starter
Nope
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
9.6 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
12 @ 66°F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2 @ 68°F
This is an IPA that has impressed friends who love IPAs obsessively and also friends who are new to the style and craft beer in general. I don't know if its because the mix of Maris Otter and 2-Row Pale, or just because there isn't an insane amount of hops; whatever it is this beer comes out super well balanced and a really nice colour! This went super fast in the kegs and was the fastest keg to kick out of my when I had it because it was the go to for anyone who came over. Last night I found a bottle buried in my fridge from the end of the keg and when I popped it open it reminded me how good it is! I do 12.5 gallon batches because it makes getting everything into two 6 gallon fermenters real easy, and from there makes it easier to rack to the kegs without picking up anything at the bottom of the carboy!

Batch Specifics:
Batch Size: 12.5 Gallons
Boil Size: 14 Gallons
Boil Time: 75 Minutes
Mash Time & Temp: 75 Minutes @ 150°F
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72%
Est. ABV: 6.6%

Ingredients:
12lbs 14oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)
11lbs 2oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
2lbs 9oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM)
1lb 10oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
1lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)

1oz Amarillo Gold [8.20%] - Boil 75 Minutes
1oz Simcoe [12.70%] - Boil 65 Minutes
1oz Amarillo Gold [8.20%] - Boil 55 Minutes
0.5oz Amarillo Gold [8.20%] - Boil 45 Minutes
1oz Chinook [13.30%] - Boil 35 Minutes
0.5oz Amarillo Gold [8.20%] - Boil 30 Minutes
1oz Amarillo Gold [8.20%] - Steep/Whirlpoool 0 Minutes

2pkg Safale US-05 - Rehydrated During Last 15 Minutes of Boil

1oz Amarillo Gold [8.20%] - Dry Hop 5 Days
1oz Centennial [9.00%] - Dry Hop 5 Days

When I've done this it usually ferments out closer to 1.009 leaving my ABV at 7.0%, but the EST ABV is 6.6%. Hope you enjoy this, I really do myself. Especially with the colder seasons upon us its a real nice one to drink! Oh, I almost forgot to add the explanation for the name! This was my first brew on the single tier system I built and the half of the final product just after putting it in the carboy is in the second picture! Live and learn :)

IMG_4014.jpg

IMG_3063.jpg

Last edited:
Boy I've shattered my fair share of glass carboys! Hard to go wrong with that grain bill, this hops, and that yeast. It is a monster. Love me some Safale 05

Back