The Flat Earth Society

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I met one of these guys at a christian missionary conference. You would have thought he was a satanist the way people avoided him.

knarfks said:
I met one of these guys at a christian missionary conference. You would have thought he was a satanist the way people avoided him.

So you're saying these people are... Real?

Wow, I read through a few threads, and I don't know which is funnier: The eccentrics [read:morons] who believe in a flat earth, the jerks who start an account so they can post on the forums to flame flat earthers, or the people who use bastardized physics to antoginize the jerks who flame the morons.

Yeah, well, there's about as much evidence for a flat earth as there is for jebus or mu-hammad or moroni or body thetans or the flying spaghetti monster. Doesn't stop plenty of mo-rons from believing in them. *dodges flaming like Neo*

I've always loved how a cult is differentiated from a religion solely by how many believers there are. Quantity, not quality, eh?:p

You know they've done their research by the way all their links point back to other threads on the same forum...

Evan! said:
Yeah, well, there's about as much evidence for a flat earth as there is for jebus or mu-hammad or moroni or body thetans or the flying spaghetti monster. Doesn't stop plenty of mo-rons from believing in them. *dodges flaming like Neo*

I've always loved how a cult is differentiated from a religion solely by how many believers there are. Quantity, not quality, eh?:p

I like the way you think, but don't ever insult the flying spaghetti monster again or we'll have words...:cross:

Soulive said:
I like the way you think, but don't ever insult the flying spaghetti monster again or we'll have words...:cross:

no, you're right, my apologies...Pastafarians are the exception.

You'd think that they'd just raise enough money to fire rockets from a few points around the world, each with a camera designed to send digital pictures back to a ground station (via super-secure, conspiracy-proof, ridiculous encryption). A single picture of the "Ice Wall" would be worth its pixel count in gold. Unfortunately, they'd wind up with a bunch of pictures of a round earth, and they'd conclude that the "government" (whichever one it is that guards the Ice Wall) must have interfered.

That forum is completely laughable. One guy pointed a n00b to the FAQ, then completely discredited the information contained therein.

Another thread
is about to be closed after a guy asked a question that was deemed foolish (unanswerable).

It seems that when things get a little hairy, the answer is "Dark Energy." Hmmmmmmmm...the force is strong within this group.

Fortunately, these people and I have one thing in common - we believe Utah is quite strange.

I was a little skeptical, but then I read this, and I'm starting to open up.

Q: "What's underneath the Earth?" aka "What's on the bottom?" aka "What's on the other side?"

A: This is unknown. Some believe it to be just rocks, others believe the Earth rests on the back of four elephants and a turtle.

I personally believe it rests on a big mug of homebrew.

These people must be :cross:

brett said:

I cut and intended to paste that exact excerpt... FUNNY STUFF!!

Government

Q: "Why do the all the world Governments say the Earth is round?"

A: It's a conspiracy

Q: "What about NASA? Don't they have photos to prove that the Earth is round?"

A: NASA is part of the conspiracy too. The photos are faked.

Q: "Why has no-one taken a photo of the Earth that proves it is flat?"

A: The government prevents people from getting close enough to the Ice Wall to take a picture.

Q: "How did NASA create these images with the computer technology available at the time?"

A: Since NASA did not send rockets into space, they instead spent the money on developing advanced computers and imaging software instead

PLEASE NOTE This means that pictures confirming the roundness or flatness of the Earth DO NOT IN THEMSELVES CONSTITUTE VALID PROOF

This has to be the best part of the FAQ! :drunk: It took me 10 minutes to get back up off the floor.

I find this funny as well. But one problem, the flying spagetti monster was meant to make fun of a stupid school board...notice where I'm from...not too proud myself. But at the same time it isn't making fun of the religion itself, just idiot followers. I have been to many places, met many muslims, mormons and other religions followers. Most of the time I didn't think they were idiots, there are of course idiots everywhere, including athiests and agnostics and they are typically the most outspoken and least informed unfortunately.

brett said:

That's a reference to an old, and perhaps still held belief by hindus and other asian peoples. One of my favorite quotes was talking to one of the wanderers asking what the elephants were standing on, he looked at me completely serious and sincere and said "it's elephants all the way down". Gah, it was an awesome moment!

Anyways, i said it earlier but no one read my post. The FES was originally and still is a group of people who want to practice debate, argument, different schools of thought, and so forth. It's played off like it's real, otherwise it would fall through, but genuinely speaking, some of these people are incredibly intelligent.

that my spiel for the day.

I try not to impose my beliefs on anyone and just keep my mouth shut when someone has an opposing view of things...not because I shy away from confrontation but because I just don't care if it doesn't effect me. Everyone has the right to believe how they see fit.

After reading that I just can't imagine meeting one of these people. Of all things to spend time developing a theory on.... it just seems so useless to even waste your time discussing it.

Everyone has rights to believe what they see fit. However, as soon as they verbalize or publicize these beliefs for consumption, and especially if it is being preached to leveraged to affect public policy, it's bait for ridicule or at least debate.

knarfks said:
I find this funny as well. But one problem, the flying spagetti monster was meant to make fun of a stupid school board...notice where I'm from...not too proud myself. But at the same time it isn't making fun of the religion itself, just idiot followers. I have been to many places, met many muslims, mormons and other religions followers. Most of the time I didn't think they were idiots, there are of course idiots everywhere, including athiests and agnostics and they are typically the most outspoken and least informed unfortunately.

Atheists and agnostics are the least informed? Really? :drunk: It's been my experience that many atheists know more about the Bible than most of its adherents.

MikeFlynn74 said:
Thats because atheist want to know their enemy well and have a lot of desire.

You'd think that a believer in a supreme being would have a lot of desire too, wouldn't you? I mean, somebody who doesn't believe in something studies it more than somebody who does believe? That just makes no sense. If you believe in something, and it is important to you, don't you try to learn about it?

You'd think that a believer in a supreme being would have a lot of desire too, wouldn't you? I mean, somebody who doesn't believe in something studies it more than somebody who does believe? That just makes no sense. If you believe in something, and it is important to you, don't you try to learn about it?

Its easier to believe blindly than to ask questions.

Hey, hey, hey - this is reaching into religion and that is strictly verboten in my understanding.;)

But, +1 to Evan!

Evan! said:
It's been my experience that many atheists know more about the Bible than most of its adherents.

Evan, like I have stated previously, the most vocal of any religion are the one's who are the least informed. I have met plenty of blind followers who are athiests, christian and muslim who are all less than knowledgeable about what they supposedly believe. It would be nice if these people would shut up in all cases, but its a "free" country.

I would say that I am personally more critical of christians than most athiests for the simple fact that it shows the incorrect image of what christians actually believe, making people such as evan have probably a skewed image of what christianity really should be. It ends up being a bunch of idiots with a passion for only 3 or so facts right or wrong without the knowledge of the context or ability to assimilate the ideas into the current culture or situation that represent the christian faith.

Here is an apology to everyone who is not a christian. Christians are equally stupid as everyone else, therefore we make mistakes. Some christians judge nonchristians when it is in direct opposition to the basis of christianity, I'm sorry. It's fine to try and influence the world for the better, but it is not ok to try and force our beliefs upon someone or on an entire nation (notice differentiation between influence and force). For this I'm sorry.

Oh my god. Seriously, this is hilarious. I dont know what else to say. Funniest thing I have seen in a while. Elephants and a turtle hahahahahaha.

Latest posts

Back