Adding honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hulkavitch

Reaction score
Will be transfering belgium wit to secondary and 3 lbs of raspberry puree. I am thinking about adding some honey as well.

Palmer says in"how to brew", for the most honey flavor it should be pasteurized and added after primary fermentation is complete.

Question is how much to add for a subtle honey flavor. Palmer says, 3-10% of fermentables. What does this translate to in pounds.

Recipe:

Steeping: (30mins) flaked oats 8oz, flaked wheat 8 oz, pale malt 8oz, wheat dme 3lbs, and pilsen lme 3lbs.

Around 0.5lb should be good. I don't know how much the honey will come through with the 3lbs of raspberry though.

A pound is usually enough in a 5 gal batch of light beer, but with the raspberries it might be too sweet. If you are the patient kind and will be bottle conditioning for 4 weeks or more, I'd say try a pound. If you're only going to wait long enough for decent carbonation and want a subtle flavor, I'd say 1/2 lb.

Watch your secondary- you're adding a ton of sugars between the fruit and honey, and you could very well see krausen again. I'd install a blowoff tube.

Honey and raspberries are in...

IMG_7661.jpg

Latest posts

Back