Do ball lock disconnects contain valves?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkory

Reaction score
I know that the disconnect presses a valve on the keg posts, but do they themselves contain valves? In other words, if you take your gas disconnect off of a keg, will co2 come pouring out of the disconnect/gas line if you don't shut off flow at the bottle/regulator?

Yes. The pin inside the disconnect that actuates the poppet on the keg is also spring loaded.

The slotted alter colored circular bit on the back side of the disconnect actually screws out to allow cleaning and servicing of the disconnect.

Why do so many regulators I've seen have shut off valves before the output barb? This seems useless if the disconnects also contain valves.

Why do so many regulators I've seen have shut off valves before the output barb? This seems useless if the disconnects also contain valves.

The shut off is very nice if you ever have to take the disconnect off. I have all of mine set up with flare fittings.

The shut offs many times have check valves in them, which is a nice safeguard.

Also if either the ball lock or the line fails you don't need to shut the entire system off. That would be 5 lines in case .

Also, I set my reg pressure with the shut off closed, as it's easier that way. So, close valve, set pressure, open valve. Easier than disconnecting the keg to do.

When I go out of town I turn off the valves coming off my regulator. this way if a keg seal decides to spontaneously fail, or something starts pushing on a tap, I won't drain the CO2 cylinder and hopefully won't empty a full keg of beer.

not a necessity, but they are handy.

Back