Can you bottle wine in beer bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i bottled my mead that way.
i don't think it should hurt wine but wait for a wine expert to chime in.
maybe the cork allows the wine to breathe for long term storage?

It's fine. Corks do "breathe" I guess, for super long term aging. I cork all my wines, but I really think it's more for the aesthetics than needing to be done that way. My wines will all be gone within two years after bottling, so I've never had anything around long enough to actually see how it ages!

I have done small "tester" amounts of wine in beer bottles and caps, and it's absolutely fine. It's not just as romantic as opening the foil around the top, using the corkscrew and decanting the wine.

Hey, thanks for asking and thanks for the answer folks. I have been wondering about doing that too. I agree with you, YooperBrew, it isn't as nice but if it works it would be a nice way to have smaller amounts available.

Jennifer

I am experimenting with wine making but I didn't want to get and store a floor corker if I decided to stick with beer brewing. So I decided to bottle most of my batch in screw top bottles (so I can give away bottles of wine) and the rest in beer bottles (so I can sample small quantities as it ages). I am much less concerned about aesthetics than about functionality.
Craig Baker

Back