Cleaning a grain mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcclai7

Reaction score
I just got done with my first all-grain batch that I milled myself. My question now is what should I do with the grain mill? Should I clean it with soap and water or would that perhaps lead to oxidation issues? This is a cheap corona mill so that's why I worry.

For now I just put it back in the box. What should I do?

Thanks!

I've heard milling some rice will help clean it up ... also good for removing surface oil from the mill ...

I use compressed air on mine. In a pinch when someone borrowed my pancake compressor I used a gimpy tire compressor from my car (costs like $7.96 @ wm). Or you could go the route my brother went and use an electric snow/leaf blower which apparently made it spotless lickety split :). Previous to that I did the Rice thing and it works ok for the plates but can leave a lot of dust in the rest of the unit. Is really great for cleaning off oil if you use it though. That's just on coronas tho. Not sure about the roller mills although I can't imagine it would pose a problem to clean them with air either. Just make sure to wipe down what you can cleanly get to after the fact if you use air as it can be a bit moist if you don't use a dryer.

Latest posts

Back