Brau Supply

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I've just added "mash cap" to my brewing vocabulary. What do you use for your cap?

I got a stainless steel cake pan off Amazon that's just smaller than the diameter of my mash tun. Drilled a hold in it, installed a bulkhead, tee with RTD and hose connection on the top, elbow and Locline underneath.

Are you still using the original Mini-brau kettle? I.e., the 24L Bayou Classic? And have you completely ditched the lid in favor of the mash cap? I am giving serious thought to copying you on this.

Are you still using the original Mini-brau kettle? I.e., the 24L Bayou Classic? And have you completely ditched the lid in favor of the mash cap? I am giving serious thought to copying you on this.

My original actually used a 36 quart Bayou Classic kettle. But I wanted to go no sparge, so I sold it and got a 60 quart Bayou Classic.

It shouldn't be too hard to find a cake pan that would be a good fit for the 24 quart.

One more question guys,what is the best way to calibrate temperature probe rtd pt100 EZ boil, do the boiling frozen water duo?
Thank you.

One more question guys,what is the best way to calibrate temperature probe rtd pt100 EZ boil, do the boiling frozen water duo?
Thank you.

Buy a Thermoworks thermometer with an appropriate accuracy and calibrate against it around mash temp, 150-160F.

Hi guys, did anyone created BeerSmith profile for Unibrau 45 l. pot what are your values if you don't mind sharing.In my case water markings are little off, if I put 10 liters of water in it will show 9 littes.
Thanx.

Hi guys, did anyone created BeerSmith profile for Unibrau 45 l. pot what are your values if you don't mind sharing.In my case water markings are little off, if I put 10 liters of water in it will show 9 littes.
Thanx.

Sorry, can't help. I use Brewer's Friend.

But why don't you just make the measurements yourself? You can measure dead space and boil off rate using water. And it'll be a great opportunity to take it through a test run without the risk of running a batch of beer.

Sorry, can't help. I use Brewer's Friend.

But why don't you just make the measurements yourself? You can measure dead space and boil off rate using water. And it'll be a great opportunity to take it through a test run without the risk of running a batch of beer.

Thank you, actually I did , I just wanted to compare the data,cos I think my water marking a little off.

What about just the Unibrau units in general? How are they compared to the Grainfather? How has the longevity been?

Last edited:
How has the longevity been?

I bought version 1.0 of the Unibrau a few years ago. Sold it to a co-worker and it's still going. The only thing that crapped out on me was the little pump it came with. Totally different pump being used now.

Edit: Forgot this was my thread :) Looks like it's coming up on three years ago that I bought version 1.0.

I bought version 1.0 of the Unibrau a few years ago. Sold it to a co-worker and it's still going. The only thing that crapped out on me was the little pump it came with. Totally different pump being used now.

Edit: Forgot this was my thread :) Looks like it's coming up on three years ago that I bought version 1.0.
Great! How is the boil with 1600 watts? Is it necessary to get the upgrade kit?

I am still using the Minibrau described early in this thread. I had two little pumps. One crapped out. I use a Chugger now. Boil is not strong, but you don't need a strong boil. I add a Hot Rod when I get impatient.

Great! How is the boil with 1600 watts? Is it necessary to get the upgrade kit?
On my current rig I boil 12 gallons with 1500 watts as measured by my panel mounted meters. Would I try to ramp from mash out to boiling at that volume with only 1500 watts? No. But once you get there it doesn't take much to keep it boiling.

Don't be concerned with boil vigor. Instead focus on % boil off. Shoot for 6-8%.

Hey guys , I have a question about EZboil mash settings,I have Unibrau v.2.There two settings to remove overshoot in a strike water and during the mash.In my understanding if in a kettle temp. is 70 C. and on the EZboil monitor 67 C. you have to set oScr settings on -3, right?And during the mash if in your kettle the temperature is 67,and your desire mashing temperature is 65C, but EZboil monitor is 65C you have to set the AttE settings to -3 to match it.
Can you help me to understand it please.
Thank you for your time.

Back