No more krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, we made our 1st batch of amber 8 days ago, and the krausen ( I assume the foam on the top?) was plentiful and there was activity in the airlock (see pic1) now the activity has stopped and the krausen has rapidly disappeared (pic 2). Does this mean the yeast activity is subsiding, I would assume 8 days of fermenting isn't enough. Am I reasonably safe to just leave it in the carboy for another week or 2 and then do a reading or should I (as a general rule) do a reading as soon as the activity subsides ? Our OG was 1.051 and we are shooting for 1.020....thanks for any advice :)

image-501026614.jpg

image-2405486613.jpg

Every fermentation is a little different. I've had kraeusen stick around for 3 weeks, others that disappear in 3 days. It's all "normal" - the yeast are following their timetable, not yours. The type of yeast, the recipe, the temperature, all have an effect.

Like Matt said, don't push it, check it in a week or two, and let us know!

Cheers,

Latest posts

Back