How do you remove an outboard motor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It's not a trick question! I bought an older boat, and I need to take the motor off to have it looked at. Sure, there are clamps, but there are LOTS of cables, three going into the gearbox/steering unit/throttle (I have no idea what that is called!). One goes simply to the gas tank, one goes to the battery, etc, but those that go into the box have me wondering how to disconnect them. I don't see any quick disconnects, so I assume I have to follow them into that box and remove them from in there. I was wondering if anybody had a simple how-to to do it, or could point me in the right direction.

It's a small 15 hp motor, and it just won't start. I'm more than willing to take it into a small engine repair guy, if I could figure out how to get it disconnected from the boat!

If anybody can explain it or tell me where to look, that would be great!

Could you drop the whole boat off at the mechanics? It might even be easier for him to work on since all the stuff would be hooked up ready to test, just a thought.

It's way easier to remove the cowling from the engine, and disconnect the cables there. There is a rubber grommet that seperates/holds the cables in the bottom of the engine housing, just pop it out/in when you unhook/hook back up. You should also be able to pull the pins out of the steering linkage, again at the motor. You don't want to be messing with the steering or control box....don't even think about going in there.

Hmm every time I had mine serviced, I took the whole boat in. And I would think twice about going to a small engine buy. See if you can find a marine shop close to you

That is by far the easiest solution. I guess I was assuming the boat is already in the water, or otherwise untrailerable, like mine. +1 on the marine service.

Oh, the boat is in the water. The electric motor works, so it's usable. The electric is hooked up with a foot pedal, and totally bypasses that system. I realize I could take the boat out and haul it in, but I'd rather not if I don't have to!

Here's a picture, in case any of you guys wanted a free vacation (everybody is always welcome!):
DSCF2569.jpg

Depending on how the steering is hooked up it can be a real pain in the a$$ to get off.

Yeah, I looked at it and I'm thinking that I don't really need to use that motor this summer............................:D

The boat isn't hard to get out of the water- it's easy. But it's still a pain to hook up the trailer, load it up and drive it somewhere. Not to mention that I can't ride it if it's not at my house! I might just forget about it for a while, if I can.

Disconnect the electrical, and label the connections, if you are unsure of their placement.

The steering linkage in front of the motor has a few nuts and pins, remove and label all of them.

If you turn the steering wheel, the linkage will slide through the motor and almost pop out.

At this point, undo the mounting bolts/clamps, and lift the motor while sliding the hinges around and off of the steering linkage...

I hope this helps!

15hp should be pretty light. I can handle my Johnson 85hp by myself, but I have been doing it for awhile.

Good Luck on the motor....What are the symtoms? Honestly, I would be able to partially diagnose this bad boy via email....

Let me know.

All the best,

Tim

Disconnect the electrical, and label the connections, if you are unsure of their placement.

The steering linkage in front of the motor has a few nuts and pins, remove and label all of them.

If you turn the steering wheel, the linkage will slide through the motor and almost pop out.

At this point, undo the mounting bolts/clamps, and lift the motor while sliding the hinges around and off of the steering linkage...

I hope this helps!

15hp should be pretty light. I can handle my Johnson 85hp by myself, but I have been doing it for awhile.

Good Luck on the motor....What are the symtoms? Honestly, I would be able to partially diagnose this bad boy via email....

Let me know.

All the best,

Tim

Thanks! The electrical just doesn't easily disconnect- that's the problem. They go directly from the motor into the throttle-thing. That's where my problem lies to begin with. The steering linkage I can figure out- it's got a bolt. But the electrical seems hardwired, if that makes sense.

The symptom is simply that it won't start! The guy ran it last fall, and "fogged" it and winterized. But it's not getting spark now. When I told him that today, he mentioned that he put a new CID on it 5 years ago, when it had the same symptoms. It's just not getting spark at all. Priming/choking don't seem to help a bit.

Hmmm

If you open the cowl, you can follow the wires. You will have one ground wire on the block( secured with nut/washer), you will also have one positive going to the starter(should be a plug OR nut/washer) OR you will have theh main positive and negative going to a distribution block on the motor. There is a disconnect, I am 1000% positive....lol Look into it a bit better, you'll find it!

CDI could be a culprit, so could the coil...The choke/throttle will have nothing to do with spark.

Check the easy stuff first.

Check the safety cutoff lanyard by the throttle.

I highly doubt it is the CDI if it was recently replaced...

Are you 100% sure there is no spark?

I checked the safety lanyard, simply by putting it back on and then taking it back off. Is there something else that I needed to do? It was off when we got the boat, and when it didn't start, I stuck it back on for a while and took it back off. But it's sorta acting like the kill switch isn't allowing it to start.

NO spark. None.

Okay,

So you tested for spark WITH and WITHOUT the lanyard, right?

If so, I would yank the switch. cut the wires(neatly so you can reuse them), and strip some insulation back, and ie the wires together to complete the circuit. Test for spark.

Now disconnect them and keep them apart. test for spark.

If it works, replace the kill switch, and reuse the stripped wires.

How, may I ask, are you testing for spark?

Why do I have a vision of bob completing the circuit with his tongue while she cranks it over

You're not too far off.......................

He's simply pulled the spark plug out and holding it near the motor, if you can visualize what I'm saying.

I will try a few minor things- thanks for the suggestions, but we're already way over my head! I'm not mechanically inclined at all, beyond fixing a few minor house repairs.

You're not too far off.......................

He's simply pulled the spark plug out and holding it near the motor, if you can visualize what I'm saying.

I will try a few minor things- thanks for the suggestions, but we're already way over my head! I'm not mechanically inclined at all, beyond fixing a few minor house repairs.

Ahh...No problem. Wish I was closer! I buy, rebuild, then sell anything with a motor..haha I actually just picked up two snowmobiles from the late 60's, that I will be selling in a few weeks....

If he is touching the electrode of the plug to the engine block while cranking, then he is doing the right thing. Fiddle with the kill switch while doing so, and see what happens.

Good Luck, and let us know how you made out!

FYI - If he's holding the plug with his bare hands while testing for spark, he should be getting a pretty good poke. I had my BIL hold the plug wire on an old push motor while I cranked it. He though I was going to wait until he lodged it up close and let go. I thought it would be easier just to watch him jump rather than mess around with trying to get the plug to rest in just the right place.

Anyway, you need to trade some homebrew for somebody to come out and help troubleshoot. You should be able to test the lanyard with a volt meter, right?

Thanks for all your advice! I got to thinking about the advice, and the "no spark" and me saying it's like the kill switch is engaged. I messed around with it, taking it off and looking at it, and the rubberized part on where the lanyard connected was funny looking. I fiddled with it, pulling on it and then had Bob get in the water and look at it while I cranked, and sure enough- there WAS spark! So, I secured it properly and then changed the spark plugs.

I have a motor! It runs beautifully, and now starts right up. Thank you all so much for the advice!

It's a beautiful day here, so I quit work at noon and grabbed a little cooler, and Bob and the dog and I went cruising across the lake. The loons were feeding, the birds were singing, and the water was like glass. We putted along with that motor, and the bimini top up for some shade. We usually are the only people on the lake, and today was no exception.

Thunderhead IPA goes down really well on a pontoon boat!

Thanks for all your advice! I got to thinking about the advice, and the "no spark" and me saying it's like the kill switch is engaged. I messed around with it, taking it off and looking at it, and the rubberized part on where the lanyard connected was funny looking. I fiddled with it, pulling on it and then had Bob get in the water and look at it while I cranked, and sure enough- there WAS spark! So, I secured it properly and then changed the spark plugs.

I have a motor! It runs beautifully, and now starts right up. Thank you all so much for the advice!

It's a beautiful day here, so I quit work at noon and grabbed a little cooler, and Bob and the dog and I went cruising across the lake. The loons were feeding, the birds were singing, and the water was like glass. We putted along with that motor, and the bimini top up for some shade. We usually are the only people on the lake, and today was no exception.

Glad you got it fixed and I'm extremely jealous of the boat!.

Glad you got it fixed and I'm extremely jealous of the boat!.

Heck, you guys just got a brand new camper- no reason to be jealous!

lschiavo, I was just thinking- if you give me a quick lesson on soldering, and a quick lesson on electrical engineering, I won't need you at all anymore!

Well, except to drink your fine fermenteds. You make some darn nice beers!

FYI - If he's holding the plug with his bare hands while testing for spark, he should be getting a pretty good poke. I had my BIL hold the plug wire on an old push motor while I cranked it. He though I was going to wait until he lodged it up close and let go. I thought it would be easier just to watch him jump rather than mess around with trying to get the plug to rest in just the right place.

Anyway, you need to trade some homebrew for somebody to come out and help troubleshoot. You should be able to test the lanyard with a volt meter, right?

Haha!

Yeah, I thought about while at work today...You're safe it you are holding the rubber...

That is fantastic!

I'm glad to have helped save you a few bucks...lol

We need pics!

Haha!

Yeah, I thought about while at work today...You're safe it you are holding the rubber...

That is fantastic!

I'm glad to have helped save you a few bucks...lol

We need pics!

Meh, Bob is fine even without holding the rubber. He was standing waist deep in the lake at the time, but he was wearing waders which probably helped defray a bit of the jolt. :D

Pictures are forthcoming! We only have dial up at the lake- but cruising around the lake tonight at sunset was awesome. The fish weren't biting, but we didn't care. I had Sierra Nevada Torpedo in my glass, Bob had a Cream City (from Lakefront) in his glass, and my Lab was laid out on the deck of the boat. I drove the boat slowly and we watched loons, mergansers, and mallards as well as a very noisy osprey. Tomorrow night I think we'll have Lakefront IPA, and possibly a Rogue American amber during our cruise.

Thanks again!

It's way easier to remove the cowling from the engine, and disconnect the cables there. There is a rubber grommet that seperates/holds the cables in the bottom of the engine housing, just pop it out/in when you unhook/hook back up. You should also be able to pull the pins out of the steering linkage, again at the motor. You don't want to be messing with the steering or control box....don't even think about going in there.

Yep, agreed... go from the motor

Meh, Bob is fine even without holding the rubber. He was standing waist deep in the lake at the time, but he was wearing waders which probably helped defray a bit of the jolt. :D

Pictures are forthcoming! We only have dial up at the lake- but cruising around the lake tonight at sunset was awesome. The fish weren't biting, but we didn't care. I had Sierra Nevada Torpedo in my glass, Bob had a Cream City (from Lakefront) in his glass, and my Lab was laid out on the deck of the boat. I drove the boat slowly and we watched loons, mergansers, and mallards as well as a very noisy osprey. Tomorrow night I think we'll have Lakefront IPA, and possibly a Rogue American amber during our cruise.

Thanks again!
you do brew your own beer don't you??????? :p

From the thread title, I'm shocked that no one has yet asked you just what kind of crazy stirplate you were building with that motor.

Heck, you guys just got a brand new camper- no reason to be jealous!

lschiavo, I was just thinking- if you give me a quick lesson on soldering, and a quick lesson on electrical engineering, I won't need you at all anymore!

Well, except to drink your fine fermenteds. You make some darn nice beers!

I could teach you all I know but you would have to be willing to devote at least a half-hour. Although, I would miss your brews if you never needed help again so I may have to hold back a bit.:D

you do brew your own beer don't you??????? :p

You mean you can make your own BEER?!? Wow- that sounds hard.

I keg my beer, and I'm pretty lazy about bottling. Sometimes it's easy to grab a bottle of commercial instead of filling a growler- but I promise to use homebrew today!

In fact, I think I'm go NOW!

I could teach you all I know but you would have to be willing to devote at least a half-hour. Although, I would miss your brews if you never needed help again so I may have to hold back a bit.:D

That's be great. I know you went to college for 4 or 5 years to learn EE, but I'm a quick learner. Just give me the high points. Thanks!

By the way, we're on our way out to boat now. You sure you don't want to ditch work? I'll talk to your boss, if you want. :D

That looks like a great time! Boat rides in the evening are the best. We'll definitely have to come up some year!

You and your first mate and crew members are always welcome! We always have room in the cottage, but you could bring your camper if you want and camp on your way.

Back