Lagering temp issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billf2112

Reaction score
Darn weather changes.

During the cooler weather my fermenting closet can stay around 52 degrees. So I decided to try a lager. On day 7 my wife cranked up yhe basement heat which shot the closet up to 60 degrees. Now the outside temp shoots up to high 40s making it tougher to get the temperature back down. I froze some old soda bottles to make a cold water pool to put the bucket into (I did it in the back yard and they started to thaw).

I will be ready tonight to get the cool water pool set up.

The question is do I need to restart the clock on the 50s part of the process or pick up where I left off?

thanx

You pick up where you left off, I suppose, though I wouldn't really think of it like that. The reason you want to keep lager fermentations cool is that it helps to keep the yeast reined in. If you popped up to 60, the yeast may have gotten a little overactive. It's good that it happened at 7 days rather than 2 days. Lagers are a real PITA without good temperature control. Just out of curiosity, how are you planning to lager this thing?

the closet usually stays around 52. I have a large basin to put the secondary into. I will then put water into that and drop in frozen 2 liter soda bottles filled with water. I did some test and can keep it at around 42, just have to change the bottles twice a day. I am doing this right now (it is 59 degrees here today so I had to drop the temp down from 60) and got it back down to 52.

Back