Single Tier Brewstand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuanMoore

Getting the banned back together
Reaction score
Yep, yet another boring brewstand build. I've recently been on the lookout for materials to build a brew stand. Last week I found some steel panels at a used building materials store that looked like they might work. I was able to pick up 4 of them for $3 each, and had some time the last two nights to put them to use.

Here's what they looked like.
Dresser001.jpg

I started by cutting two of them into pieces, and also cutting up an old bedframe for some extra angle stock.

Dresser002.jpg

After a lot of grinding paint off and something loosely resembling welding, the two whole panels were joined together by the cut up ones to form the basic frame. I then added some angles to create platforms to support the three keggles.

Dresser004.jpg

I scavenged some sturdy casters and welded them on. I also added a couple of braces and some of the bed frame angle to act as pump and burner supports.

Dresser009.jpg

It's a couple inches taller than I would have designed it from scratch, but I think it will work pretty well. For $12 and two evenings of labor I'm pretty pleased. I only have one burner now, so I need to pick up another one and get them both mounted. I hope to have my new system ready for a maiden brew in the next couple of weeks.

I picked up the second burner, and now am wondering about my gas plumbing. The burners are both high pressure cast iron BG-10's, and I have a 30 psi regulator. Should I get a separate reg for the other burner and a main reg for the tank, or just use the reg I have at the tank and individual needle valves for each burner? I'd prefer to save some money by using needle valves, but I'm just worried that turning one burner off will cause the other one to flare up. I guess I could also just pick up one more reg and use a separate tank for each burner. Thoughts?

what did u u use for the cutting/drilling? i have some bed frames and they are just a pain to work with. i cant drill them and they take forever to cut or grind.

Bed frame material varies a lot, but is usually some type of pot steel. I used a standard metal cutting blade in an angle grinder to cut the frame apart, and then a metal blade in a miter saw to cut them square and to length. I only drilled two holes (one for each burner mount) and just used a standard carbide drill bit. For drilling steel, go slow and use lubrication to keep it cool. Grinding was all done with a cheap grinding blade in an angle grinder.

Latest posts

Back