Birthday weekend brew......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucasszy

Reaction score
So I just turned 35, and one of my presents was that I got to brew as much as I wanted over my bday weekend.

IMG_0618.jpg

So over a two day period I brewed the following:

left to right

Baltic Porter OG 1.090, lublin/tettnanger hops
IIPA OG 1.074, Sorachi/Cascase 193 IBU's
Hefe OG 1.054

With the hefe it was late into the night, and I kept on having two many other beers, so that one kept on getting forgotten, so I hope that it works out fine.

Finally figured out my mash efficiency issues - The turkey fryer thermo was reading almost 30 degrees low, hence the 45% efficiencies I was getting. These three batches all had over 75%. I love all grain!

Cheers

Lucas

Birthday weekend brewing is awesome. I cranked out 11 gallons of Helles Belles for my bday yesterday. I used 833 (bock) yeast instead of kolsch yeast. Only my second lager, so we'll see how things end up.

Also congrats on identifying the faulty thermo. A few months ago I realized I had a thermo reading 15 degrees high, and a few weeks ago I found out that my hydro is reading 4 points low. Always good to double check your equipment.

The thermometer variance is a big deal with turkey fryer thermometers, I was just reading a manufacturer's website (can't remember which) yesterday that stated that the thermometer was calibrated correctly if it's accuracy was +/- 20 degrees F. Frankly, that doesn't sound good enough for even frying turkeys, much less brewing the nectar of the gods!

The thermometer variance is a big deal with turkey fryer thermometers, I was just reading a manufacturer's website (can't remember which) yesterday that stated that the thermometer was calibrated correctly if it's accuracy was +/- 20 degrees F. Frankly, that doesn't sound good enough for even frying turkeys, much less brewing the nectar of the gods!

wow, I knew it was bad, but not that bad.

Back