Oh no! Keg leaked Co2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbeerguy

Reaction score
Well this stinks! I kegged my beer for the first time a couple days ago. I forced carbed by first setting the regulator to 30psi, then shaking the keg for 5 mins, let it sit for a few hours then drop the psi to 10 for serving. All was well yesterday. Today I get off work and open the kegerator and notice the tank pressure is low. I hear a hiss coming from the keg lid. It is leaking from the lid and I don't have enough Co2 to real seal the lid. How can I prevent the beer from going bad? I have no means of getting more co2 until the morning.

Help :confused:

I lost an entire 5 lbs of CO2 through the vent valve. The beer will be fine for a day until you can get more gas, just leave the lid on.

I will do that tomorrow. Would there be any harm in still drawing from the keg? I checked the lid and o-ring before I racked to it and all seemed good.... :mug:

your action items:

more co2
find the leak: lube the oring, check pressure relief)
pressurize headspace and vent a few times to evacuate the oxygen

Thank you mordantly...just got a few more quick questions.

Is there anywhere over the counter I can buy food grade o-ring lube? I never searched anywhere for it. The Co2 is no sweat to get, so I am ok there. Finally should I not get anymore beer from the keg tonight? I don't want to oxidize the beer thats for sure.

the harware stores carry a silicone in the plumbing section or a homebrew supply. makesure its food grade though. i wouldn't pull more. between this unresolved leak and temp changes, the headsdpace will not be able to maintain itself.

Thanks again mordantly, thats what is so awesome about this site, people you like you helping out! :mug:

I guess I will hit the harware stores first then if no luck, off the the LHBS to see what I can find.

Thanks again mordantly, thats what is so awesome about this site, people you like you helping out! :mug:

I guess I will hit the harware stores first then if no luck, off the the LHBS to see what I can find.

Walgreens for some 100% petroleum jelly (vaseline) will keep you sufficiently lubed.

long term i wonder how vaseline effect the rubber. it does eat latex in short order.

Keg Lube is White mineral oil aka petroleum jelly. Vaseline is petroleum jelly. Does not really answer your question but since they sell Keg Lube for lubing kegs you would figure that it won't kill a Buna O-ring.

Latest posts

Back