Need a nice PM Hefe recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redweasel

Reaction score
Yes I have searched the database.:) I'm just getting into partial mash techniques with my new 3 gal MLT and thought since warm weather is on the way what better than a nice Hefe. Anyone here have a recipe that they like that will help me hone my technique or even one that could be converted? The Hefes they sell in the stores around here don't do the style justice and I'm looking forward to showing my friends what a true hefe should taste like. Silly BMC drinkers.:D

Keep it simple. Use half and half munich and wheat malt. then make up for how strong you want it to be with wheat extract. use only 0.75 ounces of hallertau or tettnanger. something like this for a 5.5 gallon batch:

1.5 lbs Munich Malt
1.5 lbs Wheat Malt
5 lbs Wheat LME (or 4 lbs Wheat DME)

0.75 oz tettnanger

WLP300

Here is a Dunkelweizen PM i made using pale chocolate and leftover extract. great to the last bottle. I just finished it at the world cup yesterday...shared it with a friend from the LHBS and he thought it was fantastic.

Code:
Pale Chocolate Dunkelweizen

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

15-B  German Wheat and Rye Beer, Dunkelweizen

Min OG:  1.044   Max OG:  1.056
Min IBU:    10   Max IBU:    18
Min Clr:    14   Max Clr:    23  Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal):         5.25    Wort Size (Gal):    5.25
Total Grain (Lbs):        7.06
Anticipated OG:          1.045    Plato:             11.27
Anticipated SRM:           8.8
Anticipated IBU:          15.5
Brewhouse Efficiency:       58 %
Wort Boil Time:             90    Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

%     Amount     Name                          Origin        Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 21.2     1.50 lbs. Munich Malt                   Germany        1.037      8
 21.2     1.50 lbs. Wheat Malt                    America        1.038      2
  1.8     0.13 lbs. Chocolate Malt                France         1.032    225
 16.8     1.19 lbs. Muntons LME - Wheat           England        1.037      3
 38.9     2.75 lbs. Briess DME- Weizen            America        1.046      8

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount     Name                              Form    Alpha  IBU  Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  0.75 oz.    Tettnanger                        Pellet   4.00  15.5  90 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP380 Hefeweizen IV Ale

Sounds like a plan. Will be my first Hefe, second PM. Thanks Death!:rockin: Has anyone used Safbrew WB-06 for one of these yet?

you could try the safbrew WB-06 another time...i would recommend you stick with a good liquid german wheat yeast for your first hefe.

These would be the best...

White Labs:
WLP300 Hefeweizen Ale Yeast
WLP351 Bavarian Weizen Yeast
WLP380 Hefeweizen IV Ale Yeast

Wyeast:
3068 Weihenstephan Weizen Yeast
3638 Bavarian Wheat Yeast
3333 German Wheat Yeast

Make a starter if you can, but as long as you have viable yeast you could pour it right in.

the only prob i have with deathbrewers recipe is that munich and wheat malts don't self convert you need some 2 or 6row to convert them

here's what mine would be
4# wheat lme
3# 2row
1#carapils or crystal 10l

this'll get you to around 4.7%abv
use any clean hops for bittering but a hallertau or saaz for aroma is normal
about 15-20 ibus

I don't make wheat beers, so I don't know about conversion. But Munich certainly can convert itself. I make some beers that are 100% Munich, and of course they convert. I've never heard before that wheat malt can't convert, either. But I'm not sure on this. I mean, there are plenty of wheat beers out there, but I've never heard that they need two row to convert it.

The 2-row added cant hurt, but it's not needed for munich malt.

eriktlupus said:
the only prob i have with deathbrewers recipe is that munich and wheat malts don't self convert you need some 2 or 6row to convert them

this is not true. they will convert just fine. a lot of german weisse-biers are made with nothing but munich or vienna and wheat. i did get low efficiency on my dunkelweizen, but that's due to my process (and was planned)

White Labs has done me good so far. That is probably what I will go with. The reason I asked about the WB-06 is because I just read an article from fermentis about it and wondered if anyone had tried it before. Here is the quote.

06/2007
Safbrew WB-06, our new wheat beer yeast now available

Safbrew WB-06 is now available in 11,5g and 500g sachets for craft brewing and home brewing purposes.
Specially selected for wheat beer and weizen beer styles, Safbrew WB-06 produces subtle ester and phenol flavors typical of these styles of beer

eriktlupus said:
ok i stand corrected. i have been known to be wrong on occasion(onct or twict anyway;) )

no worries...just wanted to be clear :)

from bjcp.org:

For Hefeweizen:

Ingredients: By German law, at least 50% of the grist must be malted wheat, although some versions use up to 70%; the remainder is Pilsner malt. A traditional decoction mash gives the appropriate body without cloying sweetness. Weizen ale yeasts produce the typical spicy and fruity character, although extreme fermentation temperatures can affect the balance and produce off-flavors. A small amount of noble hops are used only for bitterness.

For Dunkelweizen:

Ingredients: By German law, at least 50% of the grist must be malted wheat, although some versions use up to 70%; the remainder is usually Munich and/or Vienna malt. A traditional decoction mash gives the appropriate body without cloying sweetness. Weizen ale yeasts produce the typical spicy and fruity character, although extreme fermentation temperatures can affect the balance and produce off-flavors. A small amount of noble hops are used only for bitterness.

i prefer munich in my hefeweizens, because i like a nice malty background...don't prefer the light, crispness from the pilsner malt, but that would be your other option if you really want it to style.

Redweasel said:
White Labs has done me good so far. That is probably what I will go with. The reason I asked about the WB-06 is because I just read an article from fermentis about it and wondered if anyone had tried it before. Here is the quote.

06/2007
Safbrew WB-06, our new wheat beer yeast now available

Safbrew WB-06 is now available in 11,5g and 500g sachets for craft brewing and home brewing purposes.
Specially selected for wheat beer and weizen beer styles, Safbrew WB-06 produces subtle ester and phenol flavors typical of these styles of beer
i've heard bad things about it, that's why i'd stick with tried and true for now.

here's a thread on it: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=54083

Thanks for the link that's what I was looking for. I'm with you Death I like a little more maltyness in the Hefes I've had also.

Latest posts

Back