Brewpot size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Barnegat

Reaction score
Well the hollidays are upon us, and I have been allotted some $$ for brewing equipment. I have a few extract brews under my belt, but am going to take this winter to make the jump to AG. I am looking for advice on brewpots. I have been considering everything from 32 to 60 qt pots. I will be primarily be brewing 5 gallon batches (well for now). I have some turkey frier burners and am planning on making a 3 tier sculpture. If I am using 60 qt pots or a keggle setup, is that too big to do 5 gallon batches?

I currently have a 7.5 gallon kettle that came with my turkey fryer. While I'm able to do 5 gallon full boils, I'm finding it's too small.

To get a good hot break you need a vigorous boil which is hard to do with the kettles this size. I'm looking at purchasing a few Instawares 12.5 gallon kettles later this year and that will be PERFECT for me. I am quite sure I'm not interested in moving up to 10 gallon batches - variety is the spice of life. :)

The kettles I'm talking about are http://www.instawares.com/aluminum-stock-pot-60.pot-60cr.0.7.htm

[EDIT: Looks like I linked the wrong size kettle... that's a 15 gallon. But it's cheap, maybe I'll pull the trigger. :) ]

Old Barnegat said:
If I am using 60 qt pots or a keggle setup, is that too big to do 5 gallon batches?

I too am moving up tp all grain and have bought a 6qt SS pot for brewing. I have a 30 Qt, and its just a tad to close for a 5 gallon batch, so in my opinion, you would be fine with a 60 qt pot, even a keggle would be fine.

Instawares.com is actually where I was going to buy the kettles from. Ideally I would like something around 40 qt, but buying 60 qt doesn't really cost that much more and gives me the option to go to 10 gallons if needed. I just hope it is not too big.

Currently I have a 30 qt (7.5 gal) and I am DEFINITELY feeling the pinch on 5 gal AG batches.

Go bigger than 30 qt is my reccom., coming from someone who is trying to convince SWMBO that he needs a new pot after only 5 brews. :D

(If you're wondering, so far the answer is 'no'.)

I recently bought a 40qt pot and am very happy with it. Lots of room on my 5 gal batches. But if you plan on doing 10gal batches you will need bigger. Might as well spend the little extra now.

IMHO, 60 qt. is the PERFECT size for most homebrewing. Great for 5gals, able to comfortably do regular beers in 10gals. Instawares has some great deals, especially on the aluminum. Also check acitydiscount.com ;)

I started All grain brewing with a 30quart...way too small, I had to split my boils. I have a 40quart pot now and its a little tight, I have to pay real close attention when I add my first Hop, so it does not boil over. I'd definitely go bigger 60+ or a Keggal if I were you.

I'm rapidly finding that 5gallon batches are a lot of work for a little beer. My 2¢ is set your self up to do 10gallon batches, even if you just plan on doing 5gallon batches.

Back