recipe conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idkid

Reaction score
As some of you may have also began your brewing endeavors, I received a Mr. Beer brew kit for Christmas. I'm totally immersed in the culture now, and I'm eaten up with all the new information. I was wondering if anyone has tried to convert the typical 5 gallon recipes on the internet to the 2 gallon Mr. Beer keg. Do you just convert the ingredients by multiplying by 2/5? Also, if this does work, how do I account for the fact that many of the more deluxe kits and recipes call for a second fermentation stage which the Mr. Beer kit does not include? Is it okay to follow all the steps and just keep the ingredients in the Mr. Beer keg for an extended amoun of time? Thanks for any help.

You can scale recipes up or down using ProMash (http://promash.com/). The fermentables will be more or less 2/5 of what is in a 5 gal recipe, the hops will be different.

Secondary fermentation is totally optional on almost all recipes. Virtually no actual fermentation occurs in this stage, it is mainly for clearing the yeast. Your beer will be fine if you omit the secondary. Leave the beer in the fermenter for 7 to 10 days.

- magno

Wow. I'm highly impressed with the speed and helpfulness of both answers. Thank you so very much. idkid

Back