Serving Soda versus Beer CO2 PSI?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamjackson

Reaction score
Finally making my first soda tonight. Going to keg it and serve at a party that's coming up. I bought a dual-regulator just for this purpose so I wanted to know what serving PSI I should use.

Right now, I have 4 CO2 connectors coming off one of the regulator connectors that goes to a 4-piece splitter with on-off valves. I keep that at around 2-5PSI.

I use the other regulator and single CO2 gas tube to kegs that I'm force carbing so like 35PSI then once a beer is carbed, it goes to the regular standard pressure.

---

For Soda, I guess I'll serve it right off the 2nd regulator but what PSI should I set it at? Can I force carb a soda keg using the roll method?

35 psi is fine and you can force carbonate. Takes a bit longer because of the pressure.

Don't forget to use 20' of 3/16ths for the tap and stainless steel or a plastic wine tap is necessary. Chrome taps corrode and the chrome flakes out.

35 psi is fine and you can force carbonate. Takes a bit longer because of the pressure.

Don't forget to use 20' of 3/16ths for the tap and stainless steel or a plastic wine tap is necessary. Chrome taps corrode and the chrome flakes out.

I had no idea. I only have ONE stainless steel tap (perlick) so noted on serving on that faucet. Thanks!

Is there a guide out on serving home made soda on tap? I wanted to cover all loose ends before I do this to make sure I don't miss something. 20' of hose seems absurd but, level of carbonation I guess that makes sense.

Maybe for simplicity I should just use PET bottles and save myself the trouble?

You could try to run 1/8th inch hose. I am not sure of how many feet of 1/8th inch you would need. It would be a lot less. I am sure someone here would know.

Also, I am not sure where to get stainless mfl fittings.

Good luck.

You could try to run 1/8th inch hose. I am not sure of how many feet of 1/8th inch you would need. It would be a lot less. I am sure someone here would know.

Also, I am not sure where to get stainless mfl fittings.

Good luck.

Great tips..sounds to me like I should just get PET bottles. Having soda on tap is cool but maybe too much work. I can just keep using the PET bottles for sodas and keep the keg open for beer. I'm not a fan of changing lines all of the time.

I'd love it if someone who does a LOT of soda kegging / serving at home could sound off or link me to someone else's post chronicling the good and bad.. I couldn't find any with the search tool

Having on tap is EASY! I usually use a picnic tap for soda, as then you don't have to worry about chrome/stainless. I need more like 25-30' of 3/16" line to serve it at 35 psi.

Having the soda on it's own 30' line, with a picnic tap, is no problem at all. If you've got a secondary regulator that you can set at 35 psi, you're golden.

Back