Thin mash with a high temp rest, what am i looking at here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfrank85

Reaction score
Recently did an all grain mild that i messed up on my calculations with. I did 2qt per lb instead of the normal 1.25-1.5 qt per lb like suggested. The temp of the mash was a constant 156F for 60mins. I ended up .006 points higher than expected and the beer tasted fine out of the mash. Do you think the higher rest temp will balance out the thin mash to leave a moderately bodied beer?

I'm kind of a noob, but as I understand it having a thinner mash shouldn't impact things too much. People who do BIAB often use ratios well over 2qts/lb, and their beers seem to turn out fine. It means doing a full volume boil, but if that isn't an issue I don't think there is a downside to being *over* the recommedned water/grain ration.

As far as the temp, I would guess being at 156 is also probably still just fine. It is a little high, but seems to still be in the range people aim for a mid-range beer body. Did it stay at exactl 156 the entire 60 minutes, or did it lose a couple degrees as time progressed? If it cooled a little I imagine that would work to your benefit.

I wouldn't worry if I were you, but someone with more expereince will chime in I'm sure. :mug:

The higher your mash temp the more dextrins you will convert and thus more mouthfeel. Your beer may end up more malty and less dry...maybe it'll be a good thing. I'd guess it'll taste just great.

Back