'Dented' glass carboy....toss it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jubilee

Reaction score
This past weekend I dropped the bottom edge of my 6 gal full carboy (from about 6 inches off the ground) on the concrete while cleaning. I totally expected to be sweeping up shards of glass. But it didn't break. Instead there is a flat spot where it hit, about the size of a quarter. The surface of the glass is slightly scratched and there look to be some 'stress lines' in the glass surrounding the flat spot.

I'm guessing the safe/smart thing to do is toss it in the recycle bin and buy a new one. But I am curious if this has happened to anyone else, and what have the long term results been?

--Bill

This past weekend I dropped the bottom edge of my 6 gal full carboy (from about 6 inches off the ground) on the concrete while cleaning. I totally expected to be sweeping up shards of glass. But it didn't break. Instead there is a flat spot where it hit, about the size of a quarter. The surface of the glass is slightly scratched and there look to be some 'stress lines' in the glass surrounding the flat spot.

I'm guessing the safe/smart thing to do is toss it in the recycle bin and buy a new one. But I am curious if this has happened to anyone else, and what have the long term results been?

--Bill

I would expect a catastrophe at some point.

Just FYI... Milk crates are the perfect size to be used as a carboy holder. It makes cleaning them and moving them around a lot easier. There's also handles and straps and whatnot, but I like the milk crate because it keeps the glass bottom of the carboy from getting damaged in the way you described.

Just FYI... Milk crates are the perfect size to be used as a carboy holder. It makes cleaning them and moving them around a lot easier. There's also handles and straps and whatnot, but I like the milk crate because it keeps the glass bottom of the carboy from getting damaged in the way you described.

That's a great idea. Thanks!

That's a great idea. Thanks!

The 6.5 gallon glass carboys fit perfectly in a milk crate; the 6 gallon glass carboys, however, are just a bit smaller so there is a little 'play' between the side of the carboy and the milk crate.

This is how I have mine setup, the rope handles are a recent addition, makes moving these things much more secure.

20120731_104445.jpg

20120731_104519.jpg

I picked up 10 of these milk crates from a guy on CL for 2 bucks each. I use them for all of my fermenters, and they're great for storing grolsch-style bottles among other things.

If it has stress cracks it is a liability and I'm not willing to loose 5 hours of work over a $30 carboy

Back