Yeast, when willl my body adjust?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tj218

Reaction score
I have been drinking my homebrew for just over a year now and STILL have bad gas from the yeast. I don't drink a ton (5-10 beers between Th-Sun) and usually don't drink on a weekday. I pour carefully usually leaving the last half inch and all the sediment in the bottle.

Any ideas on how much longer will I and more importantly SWMBO have to endure with this issue? Do I not drink enough and will always have this problem?

(I don't get the gas from commerical brew, so it's not an allergy).

Thanks

Yeah... It's an issue for some people. If you're still blasting off after a year, it will probably continue. If you keg, you can look into filtering your beer to eliminate the yeast like a commercial beer. Short of that, try to cold crash your beer to drop yeast and sediment out. Pour carefully.

If all else fails, invest in febreeze, and find a comfortable spot to sleep on the couch.

Ugh that stinks...

Maybe I can use it to my advantage to talk SWMBO into a kegging setup.

It happens, and worse for some than others. On the plus side of it, you are keeping your digestive and filtering tract (liver/kidneys) healthier than if you were only drinking filtered commercial beer!

Aaron

For me it's hit or miss.... I Fine, cold crash, and keg too. I notice certain yeast strains work in me worse than others. Belgians, and sours hurt my guts the worse!

No ill effects here. Sometimes I have a loose stool the next morning, but no gas. And I consciously drink the yeast (its good for you!)

I have the same issue, try taking some Sustenex probiotic gummies. I buy them at Target and take them twice a day. My BMs have been much more regular and I have had less gas. Fiber helps a lot too.

Pro-tip: Don't drink homebrew and then eat a lot of sugar, fruit juice, or pasta. Your yeast dregs will wake up in a nice 98.6F environment with plenty of food and will go to town turning it into CO2 and alcohol and esters, turning your colon into one big bubbling airlock.

Sounds like doing it low carb or paleo style for the meals that go along with home brew will be best.

Unless it is painful gas discomfort or absolute ROOM CLEANERS, I don't really see why it is that big of a problem. I get gas from my beer, but it isn't like it's fumigation level or anything. My SWMBO doesn't even pay any attention to it anymore.

Sounds like doing it low carb or paleo style for the meals that go along with home brew will be best.

Yep. But you can get gas for different reasons from cruciferous vegetables. Gas happens. Put a 3-piece airlock in your bunghole and sleep on your stomach if the noise bothers you.

Using Beano can backfire (literally) if you eat starchy foods - beano has enzymes to break down the starches to sugars - more food for the yeasties, more passes of the crop duster for SWMBO.

Some of us just have to deal with it :(

Before I started drinking craft or homebrew (or drinking at all) I was gassy and could clear rooms on bad days. Now? Oh man...

Comes in handy in overcrowded areas sometimes though.

Back