Can I use 3/16" liquid with 1/4" gas lines?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizzlybrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This may be a stupid question, but here it goes.

I already have 1/4" lines running from my regulator to the kegs, supplying gas. And, I have some 1/4" lines running from the kegs to the picnic faucets, supplying liquid - unforunately, I'm getting too much foam from this method and need to add a line. I considered lengthening the liquid lines and then thought, "why not replace the liquid lines with 3/16" lines?". I'm just wondering if there is there any reason you need to match the gas input and liquid output lines for your kegging system?

So... can I use 3/16" liquid dispensing lines if I'm supplying the gas to the kegs through a 1/4" line?

Sure. The size and length of the gas lines doesn't matter at all. You've got the regulator set at the proper psi, and that's not controlled by the size of the lines.

As Yooper said, gas lines do not need to be the same diameter as liquid lines. I use 1/4 gas with 3/16 liquid lines, works great, limits foaming very well.

Gas will flow alot faster than liquid through the same sized lines anyways...

Thanks for the info. I called my LHBS guy (before I saw the responses here) and asked and he gave me the same answer. I'll be picking up 7' of 3/16" line tomorrow. - for two faucets, that is.

I'd recommend 7' EACH, at least. I use 12' of 3/16ths. makes for slow pours sometimes, but no foam.

Just hooked up a 4' 3/16" line last night and had perfect pours all night at 12 psi. I'm goign to switch out my other lines this weekend.

Thanks for the help.

Back