Question for experts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve99

Reaction score
Hi guys.
I'm a real beginner with beer and I presently have 2 full secondaries done with kits. I'll still brew other beer with kits for now since it's easier.

What I would really like is a fruit beer like raspberry or blueberry. Doing the same thing with a kit, do you think it's possible to add some frozen fruit to my next brewing putting them in the secondary when the time will come ?

Thanks

I'm no expert, but I'd say go for it.

Pick a kit that's got a pretty mild taste - wheat beers work good. I just racked a belgian wit onto some cherries and I'm expecting it to be great. Won't know for sure for a couple of weeks.

Wheat ale would be a good base for your fruit. I've done a cherry ale that worked great that way. As a matter of fact, I had to make a second batch since my wife down all of the first batch!
I used canned dark cherries straight off the store shelves. I then pureed them in the blender and added it to the batch when I racked it to secondary.
I used one can per gallon of beer, and the fruit flavor didn't come out over powering.
Some people use extracts and add them just before bottling, but I've also heard that sometimes that gives you an over powering fuit taste, covering up your hops and malts.
Anyway you do it, don't be afraid to try. Each person has their own tastes and the best way to figure out what you like is to experiment for yourself.
Just remember:
Adding the fruit during the boil will make the taste very faint.
Adding during secondary will make the taste stronger and allows the fruit to mingle with your hops and malt flavors (and even adds a little fermentation).
Adding extract at bottle time will give you a very strong fruit flavor.

Sure. You could also use Puree fruit. You find it in the wine making section. One thing though is be sure that you do not use your 5 gal secondary for your secondary. Every time I have done this the fruit started a second fermentation. If all you have is a 5, then just put a blow off tube on it and you'll be fine.

Back