1st timer with a question about fermenting temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njsmallwood12

Reaction score
I'm brewing my 1st beer the day after xmas, a porter kit from brewers best with the possibility of adding oak chips saturated with whiskey. My question is concerning temps for fermenting, I had a lot of varying opinions from friends. One guy says its a must that the temp remain constant, others don't worry about it much. My basement seems like it would be too cold, I'm thinking upstairs closet either the o e right inside the door, hallway, or bathroom. I keep my thermostat on 68 quick means its probably a little colder than that considering I live in Iowa and its winter. What do you think?

Make sure the beer is fermenting at the right temp for the YEAST you use. Figure it will be at least 3-10F above ambient. Have a thermometer either on the side of the fermenting vessel, or have some way to measure it's temperature (I use thermowells with sensors down them). Stable temperatures can be important depending on the yeast. If it's going to produce what you want in the 60-64F range, then you need to make sure it stays within that range. If it will produce what you want in the 65-70F range, same thing.

Get those wood chips in a sealed rubbermaid container with your whiskey ASAP. I let mine sit with some Green Label Jack Daniels for 2+ weeks before adding to secondary. Still one of my best beers ever(said all who tried it.)

Get those wood chips in a sealed rubbermaid container with your whiskey ASAP. I let mine sit with some Green Label Jack Daniels for 2+ weeks before adding to secondary. Still one of my best beers ever(said all who tried it.)

Don't scare the poor guy. :D

I have some barrel hunks (4"x10"x~1") that I'll be cutting into smaller pieces and then toasting the newly exposed wood of. Before dropping them into anything, I plan on soaking them in the same bourbon they aged (MM46) for a week (or two maybe). I have to say, opening the container they're in now gives off a smell that could give you a high right there. :D

Your temperature should remain quite constant at the cool end of the yeast's preferred temperature range while the ferment is in the active phase, usually 3 to 4 days but then it will be advantageous to bring it to a warmer location for the last part of the ferment so the yeast do the best clean up.

You added them after the initial fermentation? and then did you put them in anything or add the chips directly to the fermenting beer?

You added them after the initial fermentation? and then did you put them in anything or add the chips directly to the fermenting beer?

You add oak once fermentation is 100% complete. I use cubes (most of the time) and just toss them in loose. They're small enough that they come out of the vessel easily.

I'm brewing my 1st beer the day after xmas, a porter kit from brewers best with the possibility of adding oak chips saturated with whiskey. My question is concerning temps for fermenting, I had a lot of varying opinions from friends. One guy says its a must that the temp remain constant, others don't worry about it much. My basement seems like it would be too cold, I'm thinking upstairs closet either the o e right inside the door, hallway, or bathroom. I keep my thermostat on 68 quick means its probably a little colder than that considering I live in Iowa and its winter. What do you think?

Depends on the yeast. My basement is about 58-59 degrees which works geeat for a lot of ale yeasts. Look up the recommended. range for the yeast you are using and keep. the temp below the upper range and you are good.

I added in secondary. I only have 2 fermenters so when I want to brew another batch I have to rack to secondary. Like was just said, wait until fermentation is completed before racking over and adding the chips.

I added in secondary. I only have 2 fermenters so when I want to brew another batch I have to rack to secondary. Like was just said, wait until fermentation is completed before racking over and adding the chips.

If the oak/wood is going in for an extended period, I use one of my aging vessels. Otherwise, I don't transfer a beer until it goes to serving keg. :rockin:

If you need to move a beer in order to make a primary available, then you NEED to buy more primary fermenting vessels.

I DO need more or bigger fermenters, but I have a limitless supply of PET bottles so I just make use of them.

I DO need more or bigger fermenters, but I have a limitless supply of PET bottles so I just make use of them.

Sell some of that 'limitless supply' and get better vessels. :rockin: :D

I do so love fermenting (my normal batch size) in tall 1/4 barrel kegs and aging in 25L kegs. Having a 50L keg to ferment up to about 12 gallons is also nice. I have a crap-ton of 1/6 barrel kegs now for meads and such. :D Something like 8 or 9 I think. I'd need to count to be sure. :D

Back