Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphyslaw

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm going to make a starter for the first time. I'm going to use a flask and a stir plate* and the target OG is 1.062. Do I have this right?

1. Mr. Malty says I need 1.11 liters of starter.
1a. sanitize everything thoroughly!
2. So I put about 11g of DME into the flask and fill it up to 1.11 liters.
3. Boil for 15 min with aluminum foil over the top.
4. Cool it
5. put it on the stir plate

Is that it? How long do I keep the starter on the stir plate? Thanks in advance!

*I tried to make a starter using the "cheap and easy build" on the DIY threads but it didn't work. I think the cheap fan I bought doesn't work. I'm either going to buy a new fan and hope that fixes it or just buy a stir plate on www.stirstarters.com

11g is the size of a dry packet of yeast.

if you want 1.062 in 1.11 liters i would guess you want about 5 ounces. which is 140g.

I don't boil in the flask, just a preference.

I don't see you smacking the yeast, letting it swell, and pitching it. Which should be steps .25, .5 and 4.5

Cover the flask with foil at least.

24 hours is probably enough. 48 is better.

Thanks for the quick response.

To clairfy, i'm using a vial, not a smack pack. 1.062 is the OG of my wort, not the starter.

When I said 11g of DME, I should have said 111g--Mr. Malty says to use a 10 to 1 ratio of water to DME to get the right gravity for the starter. The target should be around 1.030 to 1.040, right?

1.040 is pretty standard though some people try and make it closer to the target OG of their wort with higher gravity brews. 111/1 sounds about right. I use 4 ounces for 1L to get ~1.040

Murphyslaw,

Take a look at the "instructions" page on my website www.stirstarters.com, there is some useful information there on building your own stir plate. Maybe you can use this to figure out why your first attempt didn't work. Does the fan spin at all when you apply power?

If you do boil in the flask, you might want to invest in some FermCap-S.....It will definitely help stop any boilovers, which can be b*tches in a flask.

I love boiling in the flask....no worries about sanitation, less dishes, just darn easier.

You need 111g DME to 1.11 liters not 11g. Oh, I see you caught that one.
I'd put the foil over the top after the boil rather than during the boil. In fact, I use an empty sanitized jam jar instead of the foil. I just find it easier and it does the same thing.
I also use 100g for a liter (saves 11g of DME).
I make my starters the evening before brew day. This usually gives about 16 hours on the stir plate which is fine if the yeast is fresh. With very old yeast, I make the starter a day before.
I agree with shortyjacobs about the FermCap-S, but I'm too cheap to buy some. I do have to watch the boil like a hawk to prevent boil overs.
Make sure you don't stir so fast that it throws the stir bar.

-a.

Back