Temperature Controller (2 Stage) In way over my head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rau71

Reaction score
I bought a TC-9102D-HV Temp controller from ebay the other day because I have a fridge I want to be able to control temps better with. I knew there was some wiring that would need to be done, but I had no idea it was All wiring. I have never done anything like this before and I did a search on the forums for some guides but nothing that I found. I am looking for a parts list, or a diagram that makes sense to me, someone who have never wired anything before, instead of the chicken scratch that came with the device. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

not a bad diagram. I understand it.

You've got a 120 (or 110) input, and two 120 loads - heat and cool. (it is a two stage). The device itself needs power (first block on left). The other two handle your thermally switched devices.
Somewhere you might find documentation on how to walk through the settings to set up the differentials between the heat and cool, and when each comes on, and for how long - but that will be after power is applied and you're doing testing. You might even e-mail that site.

If this is confusing (not everyone has a DIY mind...) you might want to find an electrician - preferably a friend that will swap a little bit of work for a beer or two.

i can see why that diagram is confusing. their color scheme is ambiguous at best. Black is usually (-), if anything. Black should never be (+) but they do it anyway.

is this any better?

now im not sure if you need to specify that stage 1 is cooling and stage 2 is heating somewhere in the settings, or if the controller assumes this. but it should work like this:

measured temp rises past the set high temp, stage 1 turns on to cool
measured temp falls below the set low temp, stage 2 turns on to heat

I just wired up this controller night before last. There is a thread on the board that has pictures. It's a big help. Can I help you with some pictures maybe of my wiring? I setup 4 outlets. 1 cool, 1 heat and 2 always on.

--jim

I just wired up this controller night before last. There is a thread on the board that has pictures. It's a big help. Can I help you with some pictures maybe of my wiring? I setup 4 outlets. 1 cool, 1 heat and 2 always on.

--jim

Yes If you could post pictures of your wiring that would be a huge help. I bought this a while ago and just have it sitting. Would love to use it.

When in doubt take it to an electrician with that diagram and they should be able to wire it up for you for around $50. If you are interested in learning about electricity/wiring I'd suggest you pick up a book from a home improvement store about basic wiring. It should spell out all the basics in a nice step by step view.

Otherwise here is my best explication using this wiring diagram.

The input power will come from a three prong wall plug (like a computer power cable). When you slice off the end you will see three wires (Black, White and green).

When electricity runs in to a device it comes in through the black wire (hot wire) and returns to the wall through the neutral wire. I needs be be a complete circuit for it to work properly.

Now, starting at the input the hot wire runs to the left 120 port. This connection powers the temp control unit. Now from the right 120 port connect a black wire to the left Stage 1 port. On the right Stage 1 port connect it to the hot wire of the heater or a wall plug. The Stage 1 ports acts as a gate to cooling device. When it needs to cool it opens the gate to allow electricity through to that device. Connect the neutral wire on the cooling device back to the neutral wire of the input device. For Stage 2 you will do the same by connecting the right 120 port to the left Stage 2.

Before you plug it in have an electrician inspect it (or don't but you may fry yourself or your device if wired improperly.)

I'll open mine back up this afternoon and take a couple pictures. That diagram is how I wired mine up though.

Regards,
Jim

Back