Pumpkin rind?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Radegast

Reaction score
Hi, I'm making a pumpkin beer (yes, just getting around to it). The guy at the LHBS told me that pumpkin rind would add an unpleasant flavor, but I was thinking it would help with all of the mashing problems I've heard go with pumpkin beer. Does anyone have any experience with pumpkin rind? The rind was cooked along with the pumpkin (some smoked, some baked), so I figure there's some roasted/smoked flavor in there that I want to get out. I can't imagine the mash doing much to a pumpkin rind. It's pretty tough. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Pumpkin itself adds very little flavor to the beer. Most pumpkin beers are made with the pumpkin pie spices in the boil and use low to medium attenuation yeast (residual malt sweetness). If you were going to use some of your rind, i'd add it to the boil at about 15 mins left. Taste a chunk of it first to make sure you won't be adding bitterness or astringency to your beer. If it tastes fine, add an ounce or two of chopped rind to your boil.

Why do you think the rind would help with stuck mashes/lauters? It seems like no benefit with the potential for more problems, to me.

Back