Transfer to secondary question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking for an advice regarding the recipe I got from 80 winning beers book. The recipe in question is Hop Hammer...

Basically the recipe suggests to transfer to secondary as soon as the bulk of yeast has dropped. What do you guys think about this? I don't usually transfer to secondaries until the fermentation is done and from a lot of posts around I hear that you can get stuck fermentation if you transfer before all is over. Has anyone brewed this recipe as it suggests ? Or should I just ignore the recipe and let it stay there until done.

Thanks

This is the most discussed topic on here, it has been readily covered. I suggest you read THIS thread, it's become the "uber discussion" on this topic thread. Every discussion, question, answer, citation, etch is in that thread....

To Secondary or Not? John Palmer and Jamil Zainasheff Weigh In .

Many of us leave our beer in primary for a month minimum then bottle.....We find out beers to be clearer and better tasting.

I suggest you read that thread, and experiment for yourself, and make up your own mind.

There's thousands of threads on here already, where folks have ventured their opinions, and argued incessantly, but it ultimately comes down to what works for you......

I wouldn't transfer it until fermentation is done. What's a few more days in primary when the consequence of racking too early can be a stuck fermentation?

+1 to what Revvy said. That thread is full of great information and worth your time to read it all the way through. Tons of great insight and opinions on the "Secondary vs long Primary" debate. It was very helpful to this novice brewer!:mug:

I agree with Revvy about reading that thread...when I started home brewing 10 years ago transferring to secondary was what you did no questions asked. Now its not necessary IMO but you need to decide for yourself. If I use a recipe that says to transfer to secondary, I usually ignore that step and leave it in the primary unless the recipe calls for dry hopping or adding something to the secondary. Whatever you choose it will be good beer. Good luck.

Back