keeping crushed grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winvarin

Reaction score
I had planned on brewing today but life got in the way. I have 17.5 lb of crushed grain in a paper grocery sack. It was crushed Thursday (today is Sunday). I can likely brew next Friday or Saturday. Am I OK to keep it at room temp (crushed) for the next several days? I was thinking about maybe also putting a plastic trash sack around it as well. It will be in a closet at approx 70-72F.

Go ahead and wrap it in plastic if you want I think you should have no problem either way it will still make a fine beer.

Thanks. Does the grain composition matter? It's 16 pounds of 2 row and 3/4 pound each of crystal and carafa 3

If you have room in the fridge you can keep it in there. Like bread it will take longer to go stale at colder temperatures. Also, keeping it in the fridge will keep it away from bugs.

Just make sure to take it out of the fridge the day before brew day to bring it back up to room temp, so you don't undershoot your mash temp.

If you put it in the fridge you are going to want it in plastic bag with all the air squeezed out. Moisture is an enemy of the grain, until of course you are mashing. Dry cool storage for grain. The outer husk protects the insides, once crushed it changes.

To echo what dancness said, I've kept crushed grain in the fridge still sealed in the bags from BMW for months and it still made great beer.

Latest posts

Back