Looking for some help tweaking this recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeyWestBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I posted this in the recipe forum but thought it might get more/quicker responses here.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Us 05
Batch Size (Gallons): 6
Original Gravity: 1.07-1.08
Final Gravity: 1.01
IBU: 20-30
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 21-28
Tasting Notes: Slightly bitter, subtle dark coffee and dark chocolate like flavor

Grains.......Mashed @ 150 for an hour

6.5 lbs 2 Row
6 lbs Golden Promise
.75 lbs Special B
.25 lb C20
.25 lb Chocolate

Hops

1oz Northern Brewer
1oz Brewers Gold
1oz Willamette

Adjuncts

Irish Moss
1 lb Dark Candi Sugar added 30 mins left in boil
12 oz Brown sugar
12 oz Pure Maple syrup added 2nd day of active fermentation

***I brewed this once already but continuously hopped it to make it an IBA. After about 6 weeks of conditioning it started to develop some roasty coffee/dark chocolate like flavors. This time around Im not going to continuously hop and Id like to make some changes but Im not sure what to change at the moment other than adding flaked oat or coffee.
Any advice or ideas to improve this recipe or do something special with it are welcome.

Well I dont know if itd be a good or bad idea but Im gonna take out the Special B and up Crystal to around a #. I might sub it for 40 or 60 for more caramel flavor. Also up my mash to around 155 instead of 150 for more body. Remove the Brewers Gold hop addition all together, and add some cold steeped coffee to the secondary.

I posted this in the recipe forum but thought it might get more/quicker responses here.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Us 05
Batch Size (Gallons): 6
Original Gravity: 1.07-1.08
Final Gravity: 1.01
IBU: 20-30
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 21-28
Tasting Notes: Slightly bitter, subtle dark coffee and dark chocolate like flavor

Grains.......Mashed @ 150 for an hour

6.5 lbs 2 Row
6 lbs Golden Promise
.75 lbs Special B
.25 lb C20
.25 lb Chocolate

Hops

1oz Northern Brewer
1oz Brewers Gold
1oz Willamette

Adjuncts

Irish Moss
1 lb Dark Candi Sugar added 30 mins left in boil
12 oz Brown sugar
12 oz Pure Maple syrup added 2nd day of active fermentation

***I brewed this once already but continuously hopped it to make it an IBA. After about 6 weeks of conditioning it started to develop some roasty coffee/dark chocolate like flavors. This time around Im not going to continuously hop and Id like to make some changes but Im not sure what to change at the moment other than adding flaked oat or coffee.
Any advice or ideas to improve this recipe or do something special with it are welcome.

While I love Willamette hops I do not know if that is going to help you get what you are describing. I would use EKG.

I like the grain sub of the Special B but I do not know about upping the crystal. how much residual sweet/caramel do you want in thus?

You may just want to add in some coffee malt to slightly amp that flavor a bit vs. adding actual coffee. If you do go with the coffee (not the malt) I would cold steep it or use instant, remembering a little bit adds a LOT of flavor.

As for all the adjuncts...why brown sugar? Brown sugar is cane sugar with a little molasses... I would ditch the expensive candi syrup and the brown sugar and just dump in some molasses unless you think that stuff is imparting special flavors... To me it sounds like it will just make it "hot" with alcohol...

That's all I have and please understand these are simply suggestions... ;)

Dark Brown. The original recipe tastes pretty good. Its got a nice coffee like roastiness with a subtle back round of dark chocolate. So I figured Id go with that and touch down the hoppyness.

Everything but the Grain Bill was from the A-Z Brown Ale in the book Extreme Brewing so thats where the belgian candi and brown sugar came from I didnt come up with any of that. I might not mess with the crystal I just feel like my last batch didnt have enough body and mouthfeel. Im up for just using molasses but how do you think thatd go with the recipe?

Also I'll be cold steeping and adding to taste in secondary or at bottling.

Back