What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think something don't ship for free, like full bags of grain. There is a loop hole I see people say they use is to order 5 10lb bags and that ships for free.

Normally morebeer would have my order shipped out the same day or next, but the last order I made has been stalled for 5day now. A order made from Williams the same day was already delivered.

Hmmm. Good to know. I normally order off NB (gasp) since I'm within next day shipping. Luckily, I stocked up about a week before everything hit the fan. Unfortunately, I see they have completely taken away the free shipping option so I'm just thinking long term in case that stretches out into the summer when I make my next order.

I occasionally order from NB, they are not always the best price but they do have a pretty wide selection of grains.

The shelter in place order has been extended to the end of April here, if it goes out to the summer I will need to bottle again if I can't find a source of CO2.

I have zero problems with them. I've always gotten exactly what I ordered in good, fresh shape. I can't say that for all places I have ordered. But since they're no longer offering free shipping ( they lowered their prices to reflect it though ), I can't see myself paying to ship several pounds of grain. I generally only order stuff once every 3-4 months, so I'm hoping its a non issue and things are back to 'normal' by then. But I just like to have a back up plan.

i ordered 6 10lb bags, still hasn't shipped, but it cost $68 for great western.....(shipping included works out a couple bucks cheaper then shipping on a bulk bag, about the same though, i use 20lb's a batch so it works better for me this way)

Bought grain to make a bunch of single hop small batches. I have a lot of hops and a lot of time. The little one man home brew supply business was open with lots of inventory. On my way home I found this.
upload_2020-3-31_17-21-39.jpeg

So I am a little late with the free time to update, but on Sunday we managed to: move the viognier off gross lees into secondary ferment, keg the wild-fermented apple cider with cranberry juice priming, put the parti-gyle (from an imperial stout) into the keezer, and clean clean clean. I need to bottle the imperial stout which dropped to 1.019 (~10%!) and it is smoooooooth. I have three beers on deck-IPA, PA, and Pilsner.

Stay safe, everyone!

Cleaned and sanitized a keg. Cleaned the beer line. Broke social distancing guidelines from my just-tapped keg of Dry Irish Stout. Can't stay away from the tap more than the six foot recommendation. However, the keg had been self-quarantined much longer than 14 days. So I should be safe whenever the pint of heavenly pleasure touches my lips and slowly decends deep inside to create that nice and warm sensation. Stay safe my brew friends!!

I brewed an English Ordinary Best Bitter and added an 8th tap to my bottle cooler. Enjoying a cream ale from it now!

Attachments

• IMG_20200322_180727.jpg
    IMG_20200322_180727.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
  • 20200401_124417.jpg
    20200401_124417.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 18
  • 15857908336564521464363774262784.jpg
    15857908336564521464363774262784.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
So just got done checking my cold steep coffee mix for my coffee Stout I am doing. Them added yeast to my friends Berry wine he lives in an apartment and I have to Ed of space so he brews at my place. Wrote out the calander for the rest of the month and half of Feb. checked my kegs to see how hard we will have to work to get ready for the new beer that needs a spot. This is going to be a good weekend but stay focused it is a job if we don't empty a keg we can't try a different beer.

The sacrifices we make for beer how did you do the coffee? I mean obviously cold steeping but what is your process?

IMG_20200402_064231054_HDR.jpg

My freezer is full of carbonating kegs, so I had to cold crash the next batch in 1 gallon water bottles. Did a little online shopping last night for another 7 cu ft chest freezer, nobody within 100 miles has one in stock.

Kegged beer a couple days back and brewed a new batch to fill the ferments yesterday because the weatherman is predicting rain this weekend and into the beginning of next week. Did a 10gal batch and realized later I am not sure I will have a keg ready when they finish.

Called up the place I get my CO2 tanks filled and they are back open, so I got a tank filled. They extended the shelter in place orders here until the end of April so I was getting really worried about running out of CO2. Seen a guy come in after me with at least 3 tanks to get filled, wondering if I should get an extra tank or just drink some commercial beer to build up bottles. Either way I got a good 9months to figure it out.

Kegged beer a couple days back and brewed a new batch to fill the ferments yesterday because the weatherman is predicting rain this weekend and into the beginning of next week. Did a 10gal batch and realized later I am not sure I will have a keg ready when they finish.

Called up the place I get my CO2 tanks filled and they are back open, so I got a tank filled. They extended the shelter in place orders here until the end of April so I was getting really worried about running out of CO2. Seen a guy come in after me with at least 3 tanks to get filled, wondering if I should get an extra tank or just drink some commercial beer to build up bottles. Either way I got a good 9months to figure it out.

i got about 9 lb's left in my 20lb'er, and i'm going through about an ounce a day, carbing 4 kegs at 8psi, and serving my usual habit....so that gives me about 140 days till i need a swap.....

no report? ;) pride should be shared!
It's only a week into bottle conditioning, but I have heard you should really be tasting everything but the trub and krausen and I like to treat this like an experiment.
It was a 7 year old Brew kit which was supposed to be a wheat ale, but it's looking much more like a porter. Nicely carbonated, a little nutty, and molasses flavors. Maybe some apple, but it could be a case of acetaldehyde. I actually like the flavor and it has a more boozy backend than I would expect for ~5% ABV. It makes it feel like a bigger beer, maybe even a weird barley wine (ish).

Got everything ready for brewing tomorrow including stepping up the starter and double crushing the grain (got crappy efficiency last time since mill is dying, so not taking any chances).

Brewed an old school American IPA today. Targeting 6% ABV, mostly 'Merican pale malt with a dash of Special B for color, (in these trying times, I find it prudent to use whatever's on hand.) 90 IBUs worth of Magnum at 60, a 1-2-3 punch of Cascade, Centennial and Columbus in the hopstand with an identical twin charge to be added for dry hops after dropping it to FG with a slug of propagated Chico ale yeast. Nothing like the nearly white, mildy bitter, fruit-forward hop bombs which look like a lake effect blizzard in a glass that the kids drink these days. Don't get me wrong, she'll be a hop bomb but more like those of the days of yore: A Captain Ahab-bitter beer, reminiscient of a Ruby Red grapefruit-zested, stanky armpit-rubbed, sap-sticky pine cone taped to a suspicious paper cylinder that doesn't look quite as innocent as a cigarette, (don't worry, I'm from Michigan, I can say it.) Also, I started drinking earlier than usual.

View attachment 673845
My freezer is full of carbonating kegs, so I had to cold crash the next batch in 1 gallon water bottles. Did a little online shopping last night for another 7 cu ft chest freezer, nobody within 100 miles has one in stock.
If I cold crash in 1 gallon jugs like that, will I be able to bottle? Are you force carbonating into kegs?

If I cold crash in 1 gallon jugs like that, will I be able to bottle? Are you force carbonating into kegs?
Yes, you could still bottle, there is not much chance all the yeast will settle out. It kind of depends on the carbonation level you're looking for. I'm usually making Belgian tripels and pales, and looking for 3-3.5 volumes of CO2. In that case, I make a guesstimate of remaining yeast viability, and may decide to add fresh yeast (CBC-1) and priming sugar before bottling.

BTW, I decanted 6 gallons back into fermenter a little while ago. I'm going to let it warm up overnight, and pitch a fresh batch of temperature resistant yeast tomorrow.
This is a tripel, experimenting with Neo-1 hops. Arrested first fermentation at 1.020 gravity.

BTW, I decanted 6 gallons back into fermenter a little while ago. I'm going to let it warm up overnight, and pitch a fresh batch of temperature resistant yeast tomorrow.
This is a tripel, experimenting with Neo-1 hops. Arrested first fermentation at 1.020 gravity.
That sounds pretty nice. What was OG,?
I have a batch stuck at 1.020, but the half of it I've bottled worked out. Would you recommend adding priming sugar and pitching more yeast? I am probably going to bottle in 1 lt Seltzer bottles due to lack of glass bottles.

That sounds pretty nice. What was OG,?
I have a batch stuck at 1.020, but the half of it I've bottled worked out. Would you recommend adding priming sugar and pitching more yeast? I am probably going to bottle in 1 lt Seltzer bottles due to lack of glass bottles.

OG was 1.085. I can't work with the info provided. How much beer are we talking about? What is the FG now, and what is the target FG? What style of beer? How long has it been fermenting and at what temp? What yeast are you using?

Back