First time makin cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Not2Bad

Reaction score
Any tips?

Much difference between fresh apples and apple juice

Any online tuts/vids

Any help appreciated :)

Any tips?

Much difference between fresh apples and apple juice

Any online tuts/vids

Any help appreciated :)

Try this as an easy and rewarding way to get started:
Snuffalupagus's "all apple hard" cider (inspired by the highly esteemed Edwort's Apfelwein) it's a little more "appley" young then edwort's recipe, but still very dry (not sweet) and crisp/tangy
serve very chilled - in a frozen pint glass ( I drink it by the pint... and Hoo boy - it gets you there QUICK.)

This one is easy... really easy. and oh so tasty

4.5 gallons Treetop apple juice
4 16 ounce cans Applejuice concentrate (primary)
1 16 ounce can Apple concentrate in the bottling bucket (bottle carb)
2 teaspoons yeast nutrient
1 packet red star montrachet yeast

Add the 4.5 gallons of applejuice to your carboy
warm the 4 cans of concentrate up to room temprature (NOT HOT)
add the 2 teaspoons of nutrient
stir well

pitch your Montrachet and pop an airlock on there - isolate the airlock from air with cheap rotgut vodka.

ferment in primary only - for 2 months exactly. (or until you can read a newspaper though it)

on bottling day, warm the last 16 ounce can of concentrate to room temp and pour it into your 5 gallon racking bucket, carefully rack off Cider from your carboy into this bottling bucket, take care not to splash or it'll cause oxidation, make sure your flow creates a bit of vortex (NO SPLASH!!) to mix in the concentrate.
now...bottle this nectar of the gods.

you should have good carbonation in 2 weeks - the brew is ready to drink then or put some age on it (cannot vouch for aging - My batch is two and a half months old today, just cracked my first one after Carbing and it is supurb.)

Flavor is very Appley, dry and tart (but not unpleasantly so).

cannot list gravities of this (I fly by the seat of my pants) nor can I acurately give an ABV. If any of you pros out there try this one - I'd love to get a run down by the numbers just for my notes. please PM me

Back