New Kegerator Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emathews8

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am new to the kegerator family and I'm already having an issue. I bought a brand new Danby kegerator, and I put a 1/2 barrel of Bud Select in it last month. A couple days ago I was pouring beers and it acted like the keg was empty. I unhooked the coupler, bled the CO2 and got ready to take the keg back to the liquor store. When I lifted it out, it was heavier than it should have been. I had frozen about a 1/4 of the keg. I wasn't sure what to do, so I left the keg out for a few hours to try to get it to thaw. Obviously a long process, and I didn't want to let the beer get to room temperature because I didn't want it to spoil, so I put it back in the kegerator until I had more time to monitor the thawing. Well, I got it to thaw, hooked everything back up and let the keg re-pressurize. I tried to pour a beer, and it came out extremely clear, almost like water. What do you think went wrong? Any way to save it? What should I have done differently? Any wisdom/direction anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Eric

Beer doesn't really freeze as a solid unless it is exposed to extreme cold for a long period of time. Typically what happens is a lot of the water in the beer crystallizes out first. This is actually how German Eisbock is made. They partially freeze the beer then rack the concentrated beer off of the water ice crystals. You essentially have a watered down beer there. I would just go turn the keg in.

Just get another keg. Whats the temp your running at? I keep my keezer at 38-40, and my psi 10-13. depends on my beer. It suck just try it again. Also do you have a temp controller?

Back