Pumpkin Spice porter ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulbert07

Reaction score
I brewed the Pumpkin porter last sat. Extract kit. All went very well, I made a starter 36 hrs before . My Question is --- The fermenting started within a few hours and next day was going great , put on a blow off tube in the carboy . it lasted till monday nite when I seen the activity drop and the Krausen flatten out , put the air lock back on , the I seen it bubbling every so often in the airlock. I am being told this is normal , I wanted to run this by the group.
Your thoughts?
I'm taking a gravity reading tonight and then another friday night , my plan is to rack into the secondary sat morn .
Thanks for your help

Only 7 days in primary seems like rushing it a little, especially for a dark beer with pumpkin. Personally, I wouldn't consider racking to secondary for 2 more weeks. If the pumpkin was added during the boil and you don't have dry hops, then I wouldn't secondary at all.

If this is the Brewers Best Pumpkin Spice Porter, it doesn't have any actual pumpkin (just a pumpkin spice pack). I've got one slow carbing in the keg right now, it was in the primary three weeks then straight to keg. It shouldn't need a secondary. If this is what you made, did you use the whole spice pack? I read some reviews that said using the whole pack overpowered the beer, I just used a third and it tasted good when I moved it to the keg.

it is a brewers best Pumpkin spice porter, We only used 1/2 of the spice pack because we seen the same posts from others that said it was over bearing. You say you left it in the primary for 3 weeks, what about sitting on the yeast cake for that long? I was told that it would put off ---off flavors.
It is bubbling every 20 sec. just took a gravity reading , it says it is .1020 I do not know if this is good or not.

Porters need a few weeks to mellow out the dark malts. I wouldn't touch it for 2-3 weeks from brewday, then do a gravity/taste test and go from there. If it doesn't taste very good but is done fermenting, I would move it to secondary to bulk age. If it tastes good, package it up.

It was previously thought that if left on the yeat cake too long, the flocculated yeast would die under the strain/pressure and create off flavors in your batch. This autolysis of yeast in a 5 gallon ferment has been determined to not really be a problem by many of the gurus in homebrewing. Many homebrewers leave beers in primary for 6+ weeks at a time with no ill effects. I have found that moving beers out of primary too soon creates worse problems in off flavors and potential for bottle bombs. I'd leave your porter alone for 3 weeks, take a gravity reading over 2-3 days and if its the same, package it up. Hardest part of this hobby for me is being patient, but it pays off if you can do it.

Thanks to everyone, great advise. I think I will let it sit for a couple more weeks in the primary. I am gonna move on to my saison Kit . work on filling the Carboys.

Here's the first tap off the keg, looking and tasting good....

ForumRunner_20130208_154426.jpg

Well I did end up racking the Pumpkin Spice Porter into the secondary today after taking another Gravity reading at 1.020 the same as it was last Thursday, My question is - after it sits in the secondary for a week or two is there still enough yeast in the beer to carbonate or condition in the bottle?
Thank you

I am gonna bottle half and keg half of the Pumpkin porter, can anyone tell me how much priming sugar I should use to add to the bottling bucket after adding half to the keg?
I am assuming 1/2 the priming sugar or boil all the mixture and only pour half of it into the bucket ?

Can anyone give me some insite as to what may have happened ? after 3 weeks in a fermenting chamber sitting at 68 to 70 degrees , I still have no carbonation in the bottles, the beer tastes great , but with no carbonation !
I have run everything thru my head many of times, but cannot figure it out.
Thanks for any help
:(

Back