Forgot corn sugar at end of boil....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eazaay

Reaction score
So I brewed Northern Brewer's 115th Dream Hopbursted IPA Extract Kit last night for my 5th batch and had a couple questions related to the process. Here's the recipe for reference.

1.) I forgot to add the 2 lbs Corn sugar as a late addition (0 min). I put the airlock on the primary around 2am and realized the mistake this morning around 7am. I quickly boiled some water and dissolved the sugar, then cooled, added to the primary, and shook the primary firmly a couple times. Will this have any bearing on the outcome (besides my OG being about .015 below expected before adding the corn sugar)? Does shaking the primary after adding the yeast negatively affect fermentation in any way?

2.) This recipe uses a lot of hops and I didn't want a ton of trub so I used two hop bags. I topped one off at 6oz and the other at 7oz of hop pellets, then poured the last 3oz directly into the wort. So my question is, is that too much hops to put in a bag to get the full effect? If so, how much will that affect the overall end result?

I know I'm thinking too much and I'm pretty sure I'll be okay but assurance and opinions are always nice. :mug:

1)The difference in time between the dextrose addition and the yeast pitch should not affect the beer. The shaking could introduce more oxygen which is good at the beginning of fermentation.

On the other note I have never used hop bags

Don't worry too much it will end up as beer:mug:

5 hours from pitch? You should be fine from oxidation. As for the hops, I can't give a whole lot of input never used hop bags.

In my experience, if the hop bags are too full and the hops don't float around freely, it can decrease utilization. If your bags weren't crammed solid, you should be okay. I try not to add more than two ounces per bag, tie off near the top, and let them free swirl in the wort while it's boiling.

You added the dextrose before active fermentation began, didn't you? If so, you'll be fine. You should probably avoid aeration after the fermantation has begun, though.

1. Late sugar additions in the primary are fairly common. In fact, many suggest doing it this way if you have a low yeast count because the high original gravity can stress the yeast. In your case, you only added it a little later, so it really won't matter anyway.

I have added sugar (belgian candy sugar specifically) on several brews now around 3 to 4 days after start of primary fermentation, and they fermented well and the flavors were great.

2. I use hopbags on every batch and always have since I started brewing. I typically don't need to have more than a few ounces in a bag, but I would imagine that you might have slightly lower utilization. That being said, with that many hops, I'd doubt that you could tell the difference in 90% or 85% utilization. I'm guessing it will be plenty hoppy enough. Don't sweat it.

You'll be fine.

I don't "know" about the hops, either, but would not worry about it. It's an IPA so I'm sure it will be fine. I LOVE IPA!

B

Thanks for all the input guys. It seems to be fermenting pretty aggressively. When I got home from work that day, it already had a thick Krausen forming. Two days later now and its still going strong.

P.S. I love IPA too and this one is very promising!!! I can't wait!!! Guess its a good thing I have some IPA already bottled to tide me over... :D

If you add sugar during fermentation, make a simple syrup. Adding powder or granules to fermented stuff can cause volcanic fizzover from all the nucleation sites.

Latest posts

Back