Please Help w/ Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopmadness

Reaction score
This is my first time doing a starter, and I planed on using an Activator smack pack. I put 2/3 cup DME into just less than 1 qt water. Took my eyes off from it for a secong and it boiled over. I ended with about half a quart of wort to use for the starter....threw it in the fridge to cool before I put in the smack pack...BUT when it started to cool a significant amount of DME fell out of solution. So now I have a half quart for a starter with a large amount of "solid" debris (undissolved sugar that was initially in solution) on the bottom of my container. Should I use this still?? Will it be ok?? I don't really have any more DME to start over with. Thanks for the insight.

you're going to need to reboil it... it didn't get it's alloted 15 minutes or this insoluability wouldn't be an issue. as it nears the boil point, you need to throttle back/remove from burner/or add defoamer. in flasks, no defoamer, it is a little tricky as the foam stoppers create pressure to assist in boil-overs. also, i use 1 cup per quart(L).

Back