Straining into bottling bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rs3902

Reaction score
When I racked my last batch from the primary to the bottling bucket, i on a whim attached a sanitized nylon bag (meant for dry hopping) to the end of the hose, so the beer filtered through it. It picked up some hops and trub and I had much less sediment then I usually end up with in the bottling bucket.

Is there any problem/negative/potential downfall o doing this?

You just dont want to airate it if bottling. Im sure you will be fine though as long as you filled from the bottom up.

It defiantly still siphoned slow and quietly, so I wasn't too concerned about that. I guess I was wondering why I've never heard of this practice. It seems to me it's much easier to just throw the dry hops right into the primary, then rack into the bottling bucket through the bag to filter out the hops and trub

I've done filtering by adding a cloth over the siphon side and have it rest down almost in the bottom of my primary. I feel like it keeps any trub or hops to go up into my siphon. Maybe i'll try your method and see what difference I can get.

Back