Top 10 Fall Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotta say I love the Tumbler. I hope it's back next year.

Haven't had the Dogfish or the Surly, but the others are tasty.

southern tier pumpking is great, maybe the best pumpkin beer ive ever had.

ive only tasted the bruery autumn maple and it was excellent.

THe Kaiser, Pumpking and the Ayinger are all spot on great for Fall beers! Just did a video review for the Autumn Maple and was very surprised by that one as well.

I have tried exactly half that list, with Pumking and Punkin my favorites. Fall is definitely my favorite time for commercial beers.

I keep hearing such great things about the Pumpking...I really want to try it! I bought a twelve pack of Tumbler a few weeks ago (grocery store had it on sale for $14!) and still have a few bottles left it's pretty good...I think this year's Punkin by DFH is the most flavorful out of all the other years I've had it...haven't had any of the rest but I did brew a pumpkin porter this past Saturday!

I really love the Dogfish. It definitely has it's unique little twist to the standard pumpkin ales.

One not on the list that I really like is the Saranac Pumpkin. Another top notch fall brew.

Although I haven't had all the beers on that list. I gotta say that Jubelale should be in there. I always look forward to that beer come fall time.

I have a bottle of the Bruery's Autumn Maple sitting at the house. I'm looking forward to trying it though I may save it for Thanksgiving.

I've had the Tumbler, O'Dells No. 4, The Kaiser, and The Punkin. I like them all, and I definitely like the Tumbler the best. It was a nice revelation to me, after a stretch of buying so many expensive, exotic, intensely flavored beers, to really love a very simple brown beer. But I think S.N. did it right with the Tumbler, its a great brown, really well balanced and tasty.

The Kaiser is great. I really want to try New Belgium's Fall Wild Ale. So far the Lips of Faith series has been hit or miss for me.

Had punkin on tap two weeks ago at a DFH alehouse...I'm sorry, but that beer sucks. No one at our entire table liked it. It tastes like boiled cinnamon, a taste that is astringent and quite frankly gut-wrenching. I brewed a chai stout and accidentally boiled some cinnamon, and it was so bad I had to pour every bottle down the drain, and punkin's flavor reminds me of it. It's way too heavy on the spices.

Had tumbler last weekend at my dad's bluegrass party. Not a fan. SN is really pretty mediocre compared to other stuff out there that it really stuns me how many people on this forum just LOVE it. The good news is that any decent effort to clone SNPA will taste much better than the real thing. Taste SNPA side-by-side with two-hearted or any real quality APA, and you'll see what I mean. Tumbler is the same to me as celebration...decent, but there's much better stuff out there. Although I definitely like torpedo a lot.

This is coming from a guy who is definitely no beer snob.

I had the DFH Punkin this year and wasn't impressed. The ones I bought were bottles and had no pumpkin or spice flavor. Others that tried it told me they had the same experience so I'm surprised to read that rex had too much spice. I also had ST Pumking which was pretty good but I could tell it needed to sit a bit longer to balance out. I'll be trying another bottle later this month. I'm going to have to try some of those others on the list.

I had the DFH Punkin this year and wasn't impressed. The ones I bought were bottles and had no pumpkin or spice flavor. Others that tried it told me they had the same experience so I'm surprised to read that rex had too much spice. I also had ST Pumking which was pretty good but I could tell it needed to sit a bit longer to balance out. I'll be trying another bottle later this month. I'm going to have to try some of those others on the list.

Yeah I thought the bottles I had last fall had practically no spice. On tap, whole different story. It didn't even really taste like beer, really.

Back