Secondary Adds For an Extra Special Bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerstream

Reaction score
I've been working an ESB, and I've got it fermenting in my primary right now. I usually just condition in my primary, but I think I'm going to use a secondary this time because I'm concerned about clarity (I forgot about the stupid Wirlfloc tablet until the boil was over).

I thought this would be a good chance to experiment with some adds in the secondary (which I haven't really done before, as I'm still a bit new at this).

Would you guys suggest dry hopping this, or any other potential adds for the style?

I used Northern Brewer Hops for Bittering, and I used Kent Goldings for Aroma and flavoring hops. My extract was Marris Otter, and I used some Crystal and specialty grains to steep. I have only taken one sample (before pitching, which was Saturday night), and I thought the malt body was mildly sweet, and the hop character fairly pronounced (piney, woody).

Thoughts? Suggestions? Past successes I could learn from?

I just did a bitter and I dry hopped with Willamette and tettnanger and its awesome. If I where you I would dry hop it for sure. Kent Goldings would be perfect

Beginning to think that might be the rout to go. I used Kent Golding twice already in this recipe though; do you think dry-hopping with them would be overkill? Or maybe go with some East Kent Goldings?

How did the Willamette work in yours?

Thanks for the suggestions! Whereabouts are you in Chiang Mai? I lived in Thailand for a year, and that was one of my favorite cities.

Latest posts

Back