Hops/chunks in my bottled beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scohop

Reaction score
I popped open a beer today and it started (after a few seconds) to foam/gush. I poured it, and everything tasted good, except there was tons of hop chunks in the bottle (enough that I actually poured it again through a mesh and got several tablespoons of the green hop chunks).

This was worse than normal for me, but I probably always have some hops chunks and trub floating around in my beer. I have always only used a primary. How is this effecting my beer? What should I do, if anything, to get rid of the chunks? Use a secondary? Will something like this markedly improve my beer?

thanks!
Scott

Removing sediment is the basic purpose of a secondary. Are you using any kind of sieve/strainer when transferring from brewpot to primary?

A secondary, or using a strainer as ProfLight suggested, is the way to go. Nothing is wrong with your beer, but I'm sure you're like me and don't like having solids when drinking your beer. Plus your friends who don't understand homebrewing will be really caught off-guard when drinking it for the first time. Go ahead and invest in the secondary.

I have a really hoppy IPA where I get a few stray chunks from bottle to botttle. I switched that one to a secondary and a third bottling bucket for a few days to get as much out as I could. I also strain when putting into the primary, so a few stray hops here and there aren't a big deal, but you will definately cut down on them if you start using a secondary. Just don't expect to completely eliminate them by doing that.

It sounds like you're not even using a bottling bucket. If you rack to secondary for a week, then rack to a bottling bucket (could be your primary now cleaned and sanitized), you'd have nothing in your bottles less a bit of yeast sediment.

You could invest in a mesh-like bag when you add your hops to the boil and remove the bag before you rack to primary.

AND

Even if you use a bag, some sediment may still be present, you can strain your wort when racking it to primary before you pitch yeast. All of this can be done without secondary and provide beer that's very, very clear.

EDIT: You mentioned gusher, I've always understood that this occurs because of two reasons;

1. Over priming
2. Infection

Reason I mention it is because I dry hopped a beer and couldn't get all of the hop sediment out and at least 1/3rd of the bottles were gushers, hop particules have anything to do with this?

The method I use is an aluminum strainer like what you'd use for processing tomatoes. This serves the dual purpose of aeration when I pour from the kettle into the primary and between the whole leaf hops and strainer I can basically pour the entire thing in and am left with a very minimal amount of material in the primary.

Some beers I do not secondary, I have just not found the need. But big beers or beers where I am doing something special (ie. additions, lagering) a secondary is a must due to the amount of time it will spend in there.

Latest posts

Back