My first infection? (pic)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shaggynuts24 said:
i have been trying to remember that word for 3 days now "pellicle"
saw a post 3 days ago "its not heavy, its my pellicle" something like and i have been beating my brains out about it trying to figure out what the crap that stuff is.....
thanks

It's our pal Brett :D

tbone said:
>Anyone out there have a way of sanitizing hops without destroying the
>aroma?

I read in brewing for dummies that you can lightly steam them like you would broccoli in a pot w/ a false bottom type strainer. One with sides that fold up once inside the pot. Wal-mart sells them in the kitchen area.

Out of fear of contamination I heavily hop at flame-out. Then move it all to a brew bucket and the leave the hops float around in the wort. I'll let it run its course then rack to a bottling bucket or secondary.

I'm drinking my dumass-amber w/ an ounce and a half of whole-leaf home grown cascades at flame-out. No infections to worry about and lots of hop flavor. Dubbed it dumass because I opted for the carboy over the brew bucket. The hops plugged up the carboy neck. Got lucky - no accidents. Next batch will be done in the bucket.

Back