Buttery taste in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Righlander

Reaction score
ok one of my recent batches has been in the bottle 1 week so i figured I'd try one out tonight and see how they're coming along. One thing is a lot of my earlier batches had an estery taste due to high fermentation temps, so this is the first brew I used a swamp chiller to keep the temps lower. It fermented at an outside stick on therm temp of 62f with nottingham yeast. Now, it has a buttery taste to it. No esters that i can detect though. Is this just the taste of young beer? Or is it something else. I used star san to sanitize.

nottingham makes diacetyl in the first week of bottle conditioning, Ive tasted it everytime Ive used it, but by 3 weeks its always gone so dont worry about it.

You've just described perfectly one of the reasons I now wait for three weeks before trying a batch. Nasty flavors can show in week one that will go away by week three. But now you have to worry for the next two weeks that it won't go away.

Diacetyl in general needs to be conditioned out while still on the yeast cake but, like k1v says it also shows up when restirred for bottle carbing. Time will clean up a certain percentage of the butter.

Well on a good note. I just cracked one of my English pale ales, been in the bottle like one month and It's amazing. It fermented at an ambient temp of 65-70f and I worried that it fermented too hot. It's also the first beer that I left in the primary 3 weeks. Clarity is perfect (Thanks Revvy). Taste is beautiful, It's rather soothing. So yeah RDWHAHB works. I think I'll wait another 3 weeks before I try another one of the buttery beers.

Back