To decant or not to decant a starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarrsipius

Reaction score
I've been making 1.5L-2L starters for all my beers for about 2 years now. Since my flask is a 2000ml I really couldn't go much bigger than that on a stir plate. I've always had really good luck. I recently aquired a 4000ml flask and am going to make larger starters when necessary on some of the bigger beers I make.

With the 2000ml I always dump the whole thing into a 10 gallon batch without noticing any negative affects. I've never decanted a starter before (I go right from the stir plate into the fermenter after flaming the lip of the flask). I'm curious though if a 4L starter into 10 gallons may be a bit more risky with regard to affecting the overall flavor of the beer. Anyone here add 4L starters to 10 gallon batches without decanting? Any noticable effect on the beer?

P.S. I'm using light DME to make my starters at 1.040OG.

Unless the starter is active, I almost always decant most of the liquid. To me, I'd be just watering down my beer with a tastless, hopless brew. 4L is a lot.

I also dump my full 1L starters into 5G batches with no ill effects. Have not tried the 4L/10G combination, but my hypothesis is that you would be better off to decant most of the liquid because it is higher percentage of the total wort than the 1L/5G ratio and thus might be enough to effect the OG and/or flavor profile. If nothing else, for fermentor volume considerations. Hopefully someone with experience with this specific ratio will chime in.

Decant. Just for knowledge you can cold crash your starter then taste the liquid and decide if you want to add that to the wort you worked so hard on.

I usually decant it.
If you leave starter at least 8-12 hours you"re allowing yeast to accumulate glycogen reserves.

Back