Sweeten and add fizz to Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mithryl

Reaction score
I've had a lot of help from a friend to turn my apples into 6 gallons of cider. It's very dry and flat and I'd like to BOTH sweeten it and add some fizz. I can find advice on doing one or the other but not both.

I'm about to bottle it and have been told to add a teaspoon of sugar to produce the CO2 but this won't sweeten it. The suggestion to sweeten it is to kill the yeast and add sugar but this won't give it any fizz.

Help.

Artificial sweetener will work. Add that plus some sugar to get carbonation. Do a search for "artificial sweetener" and "priming" your cidar.

we get this question so often we should just make a sticky about it. Seriously, there's a thread every 2-3 days about it. Splenda, Lactose, Stevia, etc.

how much splenda would you recommend to start out with, for a 5 gallon batch?
that is the question (i appreciate taste is in the eye of the beerholder) but how about a simple rule of thumb..
thanks

If I was you I would take a small batch out, say 1 pint. Add your lactose or Splenda in small amounts (keep track of how much your adding) until you find it to your liking. Then just figure it out porportinally. Five gallons have 40 pints so multiply your amount by 40. I would add a little less than that and check to see if it is acceptable. You can always add more but you can't take it out.

Has anyone tried useing a Soda Stream to fizz, you can get them to use 1lt bottles now.?? So you can then fizz on demand.

Kegging cider and force-carbing would be awesome.... so you can sweeten however you like.

I would love to make some cider, kill the yeast, then add some apple juice concentrate back in for more apple flavor and the sugar obviously.

But it would have to be force carbed.

Back