oxyclean + carboy + 2 weeks = bad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
Yeap, I got lazy. Left oxyclean solution in my carboy for two weeks and now there are thousands of tiny little pits all in the inside of the glass. I figured that's a lot of bacteria friendly territory. Just goes to show you that being lazy sucks. At least I know that oxyclean can etch glass now.

yep... I was going to saok a bbunch of bottles in some oxyclean before bottling and I was going to do it this morning before work and then rinse then all after work I decided not to, because I have seen rings left of residue and the oxyclean eat things away...so I opted out I dont knwo if would have did any damage in the 8 or 10 hours but I didnt want to take the chance of ruining 50 + bottles

I've left oxyclean in glass for well over a month with no negative effects. What concentration were you using?

I'm really bad with knowing what reacts with what, and reading this has made me a little nervous that I have been storing my CFC with an oxiclean solution inside.

Is that a bad idea?

jerly said:
I'm really bad with knowing what reacts with what, and reading this has made me a little nervous that I have been storing my CFC with an oxiclean solution inside.

Is that a bad idea?

Bad idea.:(

I've always used Oxi-Clean to remove labels and clean bottles. Fill the sink with hot water and a half scoop of Oxi-Clean. I leave them overnight, but I've left them for up to 3 days before. Emptied, rinsed and wiped down well and I've never had a problem. (Knock on wood).

Its likely the concentration that did the damage.

I have left bottle in for over a week in a cooler before with no ill effects. I wouldn't try it with a carboy, but I haven't seen any problems with my equipment.

Crap...just racked Edwort's Haus Pale Ale to the keg today. Put 2 scoops of the "free" oxyclean in a 6.5 gal better bottle, and topped it up. Hope I don't come home to a jacked up fermenter.

Back