Blueberry Mead by Christmas???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scripts

Reaction score
Well I've been procrastinating on the idea of making a light blueberry mead for the families Christmas dinner and am now revving up to get it going... With about two month's to go . If I got the batch going mid week (express order the yeast) could it be ready by Christmas? My goal was to have it lightly carbonated too if possible (could play with force carb'ing and bottling if necessary)...

Maybe if you made a semi-sweet hydromel you could get it done.

Look at using maybe 7-8# honey in a 5g batch and potentially backsweetening or using an ale yeast so that it doesn't dry out completely.

Look at homebrewer99's light lemonade mead, that can be done in about 2 months, just think of replacing the lemonade bit with blueberry.

Hmmm.... Well I guess I will get it rolling regardless and let it take it's time so it will be ready for next year, lol.

Seems you can do it. Per Curt Stock in "other fruit melomels" (a reading resource for the BJCP mead exam):

There are two schools of thought (and plenty of debate) on when to add fruit to your mead. Many people believe that, to preserve the fruit character and aroma, fruit should be added to the secondary fermentation. This method works well but can have a couple of drawbacks. The fruit will have to steep in the secondary fermenter for many weeks or months to extract all the goodness the fruit has to offer. In addition, considerable aging will be needed to have the fruit and honey meld together into a great beverage. Renewed fermentation could also result from the sugar in the fruit. If primary fermentation was completed in part by the alcohol content reaching the yeast’s tolerance level, fruit added to the secondary will dilute the alcohol content (fruit is typically 70% water) allowing the yeast to reactivate.

After my first few batches I started fruit in the primary fermentation (FPF). There are many benefits to this technique. Fruit will provide many of the nutrients needed by the yeast during fermentation and help to regulate the pH of the fermenting mead must. FPF will typically take much less time than traditional mead fermentations. [I’ve won awards for meads that were six weeks out of the primary with this method.] Fermentation of mead with an original specific gravity up to 1.145 should be complete in three to four weeks in most cases.

(bold mine)

I recommend reading the entire article linked above, particularly pp4-5.

Some variation of Joe's Ancient Orange Mead could work. Joe Mattoli also has a quick grape juice mead (pyment, is that the term?) that is ready in just a few weeks. I have a blueberry wine that is a variation of JAOM that is only a few weeks old but is just about drinkable--easily ready for the holidays. You could probably come up with a blueberry quick mead that would do the trick.

In my experience, even the so-calle "quick meads" take a minimum of three months. Sure, you could make a drinkable beverage before Christmas but personally, I'd be ashamed to present it.

I had the same thought with my Cranberry braggot, I wanted it for Thanksgiving. Well, I started it and now I just plan on letting it sit until next Thanksgiving. The pipe line has to start somewhere, and it might as well be here...

You might start a mead now and also look at Brandon O's Graf in the cider recipes as something that will get done by xmass. Its cider season you might as well take advantage of it. I will be starting another Brandon O's soon and a Carmel Apple Mead. A short term project might help you from messing with your mead too much. :D

ide have to agree...even a hydromel will take some aging time to come about. Brew and save it until next years Christmas party

We just did a one gallon batch in six weeks. Our one gallon batches typically take six to eight weeks, but come out very strong. Here's what you need:
3 pounds of honey
6 cups of water
3 pounds frozen blueberries, thawed and mashed
1 tbsp yeast nutrient
Premier Cuvee yeast
Put your mashed blueberries in a grain bag and squish all the juice out. Let it float in your primary for 5 to 7 days. Then take it out and re-rack. Rerack again as sediment builds up in a few weeks. Add pectic enzyme to help clarify. Should be about 15% alcohol when done, but I don't know what to recomend to carbonate it. We LOVE ours. It makes you want to pour it over a slice of cheesecake. Very smooth. Good luck!

Thanks lulahigley, I think I'll try that for fun, same with Brandon O's Graf recipe. I think I'm going to get a batch of blueberry mead rolling this weekend and give it some time to work for next year.

Latest posts

Back