Gettin Started

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taper123

Reaction score
Never made a batch of beer before... but looking into it.

I like to make things, and don't mind projects that take weeks/months to complete. Thinking of starting out with a 2-stage starter kit and going from there. Just curious if it can be done this time of year with good results, as the inside temps of my house stay in the 75 - 80 degree range.

Local brew/supply shop is making a batch saturday. Figured I'd go watch and ask some questions. The idea is already set in my head that I can do this...

75-80 is pretty hot but there are very simple things you can do to bring that temp down. (bucket with ice)

I would start your journey by reading the sticky threads and doing a search for any of your questions.

Youtube has lots of good vids of people brewing beers.

Enjoy! and have a home brew!

75-80 is pretty hot but there are very simple things you can do to bring that temp down. (bucket with ice)

I would start your journey by reading the sticky threads and doing a search for any of your questions.

Enjoy! and have a home brew!

Now I know what the guy at the store meant by freezing 2-litre bottles and swapping them out. Keeping things cooler...

Have an old refrigerator I could plug in, but that might be too cool. Lots of things to look into. Sounds like winter time is the best for brewing in Tx, but always a work around for temperature control.

Now I know what the guy at the store meant by freezing 2-litre bottles and swapping them out. Keeping things cooler...

Have an old refrigerator I could plug in, but that might be too cool. Lots of things to look into. Sounds like winter time is the best for brewing in Tx, but always a work around for temperature control.

Welcome!

Well if you have a fridge you could get into lagering...where you need cold.

There are plenty of people on here from texas who brew year round, including the guy in charge of this place...Don't let it stop you, there are also styles of beers that benefint from warm fermentaion temps as well...Use the search feature on here and look up temp control to see what people do...especially with their fridges....

Take a look at howtobrew.com for info on lagers/

I live in a loft, with very little space or storage, so no extra fridge setup for me...I have to go ghetto...And it's fine for my ales.

I use one of these that holds 2 fermenters, and a few inches of water.

2244-blue-mist_sm.jpg

I have an aquarium thermometer on the side of it to check the temp of the water. I cover each of the carboys/buckets with a t-short to wick up the water. Adding a fan to blow air on them will cool them further.

Now the wheels are starting to spin for cooling methods and where to set up shop in the house.

Always daydreamed if a small fridge with a water tank in it could be circulated through coils to keep the sump tank of a saltwater fish tank cool... it could work for making beer as well.

Read about temperature controllers today to convert a fridge or freezer into a fermenting chest. Since I keep the house pretty warm, that would work perfect... and have a freezer not being used in the garage that I could bring inside to use.

Going to visit the local brewshop tomorrow morning where they will be making a batch to watch the process. Ask a few questions and see if this is a hobby I want to start.

I put my buckets in front of an a/c vent and cover them with heavy blankets. House temp is 78 and brew temp is 64. Some of the guys use cardboard boxes, and others make boxes out of insulation board. Year 'round brewin'!

Picked up a 2-stage starter kit today and an external temperature controller for a freezer I had stored in the garage. Just need to get a good boiling pot now, have a stainless turkeypot I can use or hit the local walmart for something smaller for the stove.

Have a Cooper's "real ale" mix with all the ingredients to start with. Will have to try making beer from a recipe for the second batch.

Back