time to rack into secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subwyking

Reaction score
i accidentally posted this in general, but i think its more appropriate here seeing as im a noob.

so i took a peek at the brew. all the stuff at the top of the brew that kinda looks like mold apparantly is starting to sink, and the bubbles in the airlock are few and far between. is this a good indication that its nearing time to rack into secondary? im leaving for oklahoma on thursday and im hoping that i will be able to move it without doing it too soon. someone please help lead the blind

You should wait until the Krausen (brown stuff) has setteled out before racking over to the secondary. How long will you be gone? It won't hurt for your brew to sit in the primary for a couple of weeks.

coming back sunday. my neighbor and i went halvies in on the supplies and equipment we had to get so i could get him to come over and check on it to make sure it hasnt exploded. the stuff you described as brown has a greenish tint to it, but it doesnt smell rancid or anything and also when i was cooking it it formed a greenish-brown head on it too during a near boil over disaster. im assuming that this was from the hop pellets. is this correct?

Yes, that is correct. Just leave it till you get back. It should have setteled to the bottom of your firmenter by then.

Back